1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MODULUS BASSSTAR P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheDialog, Aug 26, 2012.

1. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Can anyone tell me about these and what they're potentially worth?

Thanks!

2. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I briefly owned a modulus Bassstar J and thought it sounded great. The body was kind of a hippie sandwich and the weight was quite high, but overall it was a great bass.

If I'm not mistaken, these were some of the earliest modulus necks that at one point were affiliated with Alembic and Stars guitars in San Francisco (I believe). Some really amazing necks! I think Stars Guitars made the bodies.

Hutch Hutchinson swears by his emg equipped pj bassstar. The J I had was equipped with passive barts. It was low output but a wonderful tone. Why did I sell it again? I wish I remembered. It was a really cool, but heavy, bass.

Assessing the worth is tricky. They are very well made and having a fender style instrument with that much sustain and absolutely no dead spots is a pretty remarkable playing experience.

However, the used market is a bit unpredictable on a bass like that. I think it would be a steal for less than $1400 but in performance the bass would rival instruments that cost twice that amount.

Hope this helps

3. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Thanks Cab.
    Anyone else?

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    In the ongoing BassStar thread (elsewhere on TB) I mentioned recently seeing a PJ with a Modulus BassStar neck, EMG Select pickups, and a crappy bridge missing some original parts at the SamAsh on 48th St in NYC, and they were asking something like $1200 for it

...which strikes me as being kinda high.

Unless the thing is in minty-mint fresh condition I'm not sure I could see paying more than $1000 for an original BassStar build. Remember, you can buy a brand new Modulus neck for $800...add a Warmoth body and top-of-the-line electronics, and for ~$1500 you can have a brand new bass that will kick the snot out of any 30-year-old equivalent.