Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Custom J or MM Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popinfresh, Feb 26, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey, i was in the classifieds section offering a trade of my Sterling plus cash for a Warwick FNA when someone PM'd and offered their custom J (Koa/Alder, EMG's, 3 band EQ w/ mid sweep) for my Sterling.

I havn't played a Modulus Jazz, only a Flea bass. Are they similar feeling to Fender Jazz's? Or different? I'm not sure if i'll do it, but do you think the deal is worth it? I like the punch from my Sterling alot, but i would also like some more grind/attack from some J pups..

2. I've only played a few modulus basses and was not very impressed by them.. I feel that they are more on the electronics side. But I own a Warwick Corvette FNA (full wenge neck), it's just awesome. It will not give you the usual musicman tone but it will definately blow you away. I'd say go for the FNA if it's the pre '97 that has the full wenge neck.

:D

3. edgebass seems to REALLY like the Modulus J's. Ask him about it; he owns that Flea of his, but is considering a Modulus J as well.

Sorry I couldn't help more. :(

And hey from MX. ;)

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a sterling and love it...

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, i like my sterling... but i wouldn't mind another colour (And piezo).. I'm thinking, well if the modulus will be worth more (most likely) then i could trade, then if i don't like it as much as my sterling sell it over here (In Aus) and make a fair bit out of it. Then use that money to do what i did last time and get a Sterling (This time in a different colour and piezo) and not lose/possibly make money..

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bump. Anyone else think it's worth it?

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Are you talking vintage jazz or genesis vintage jazz. The Vintage Jazz is all carbon fiber and some have a granadillo or chechen fingerboard. This is the only bass that I have kept totally passive. Great sounding bass and feels awesome. Has the standard narrow bass neck, but feels really good.

The genesis is a little different, great sounding but different. Of the two IMO the genesis has a more agressive sound, and is more versatile with more tones. The VJ has more of the 60's sound than the genesis VJ.

Great basses either way that are waaay underrated. The problem is that for the price, people usually go for the quantum series on don't think of modulus as making a great jazz bass. Definitely worth checking out.

It's a good trade. You won't be dissappointed

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had a Modulus JV that was the best sounding bass I ever had, but it had been modified with Sadowski electronics, and I don't know how much that affected it. It was a different animal than a Warwick or MM, though; I was ready for a change from my Stingray at the time, but you might not be.