Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus customer service

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, May 28, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Anyone had any experiences with them? I have emailed twice now, with no response whatsoever. I suppose I should just do it the old fashioned way, and pick up the phone. I am a bit surprised with 2 attempts, no one has bothered contacting me.

2. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have a Mod but I have never had a customer service issue. But Modulus, like all other small boutique-type bass makers is not a very big company. They don't have a 24/7 call center. I think Modulus has something like 4 employees.All it would take is for one of them to go on vacation and those Emails won't get answered.
    I'm not making excuses for them but that may be the reality. I would phone.
    If you call MTD and Mike isn't there then there is nobody to answer the phone.He's a company of one.If you call FBass it will be George who picks up the phone - the other employee is busy sanding bass bodies.

3. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    Many moons ago, I sent an email to them and never got a response. About a week after the email i just called them. They picked right up, and were very helpful. Since then I've called them a number of times and they always answered right away.

4. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I called last Sept to ask a question re: the preamp shipped in my Genesis- no issues, just clarifying something- I left a message and one of the cust. service guys got back with me the next day.

Not bad... but I'll admit I got better service from Spector and have heard wonderful things about Tobias...

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks guys, it wasn't a huge deal, I figured as much....if I really needed attention, I would have called. My deal isn't a very big one, and didn't want to bother them....figured if I sent email, it would get answered when they had a moment.

I did not know there were only about 4 people working at modulus??????WOW

I also didn't know they were considered "botique" basses. Is list price the determining factor of this?

6. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Hey Anbassist,

Being an authorized dealer for Modulus I know that Modulus has a very small crew of employee's.

Give them a couple of days to respond..I usually hear back from them within a day or so.
    They have been very busy since the last NAMM show...their is a 5 month back log on all new basses.

I have never had any problems with there customer service or there basses.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Spector has awesome customer service....PJ Rubal is the man!

My issue was a simple question about finish cracks at the neck joint, and whether it was a known problem on the flea basses. A lot of them I have seen on the bay have had cracks in the same place as mine. Mine had it when I got it, so anything could be the cause, but like I said....I have seen it on quite a few other ones as well. Not a big deal, just wanted to know...

PS: The first inquiry on that was sent about 2 months ago, the second attempt was over a week now.

8. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've tried to email 3 times. Have gotten no response each time. I should call but its nothing major..

Btw: I have no finish cracks on my Flea bass

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've had a problem Modulus's customer service several times. They rarely reply to emails, and I called, leaving two messages, one week apart, and was never given a call back in two weeks of waiting. Personally, I think that sucks! I love my Modulus, but my experiences with dealing with them has been very disappointing. I will say that I finally got to speak to a tech about a problem, and he spent about 45 min. trying to help me figure out the problem. I know of a dealer that has carries Modulus for about 10 years, and he mentioned that he was going to drop the line because their customer service has gone way down recently.

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I sent an email 19 May RE a simple question about my Genesis, no response yet. No big deal, I figured it out myself, but still....

I wouldn't let that dissuade me from buying one though. I can't even get ahold of Rob Elrick, but my Elrick is still "the one" and I wouldn't mind having 2.

11. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Sorry to hear about all the bad reports of their customer service....Like I said I never had a problems.

With the finish crack on your basses...I had a Genesis 4 string that had a slight crack in the finish by the neck joint. It never affected play ..but a little clear nail polish, steel wool,& rubbing compound took care of that.

I have a VJ series bass now and it is perfect.

12. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    BTW, my Genesis has the same finish crack. I'm glad to hear it's only in the finish. Nice bass.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I dunno, mine looks pretty nasty, and it bugs the heck out of me. I gig with my basses and use them, but I try to take immaculate care of them. I'm one of those pricks that is severely annoyed by something like the finish cracks.....on my main bass anyway.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I emailed 'em a question about bartolini electronics options for my existing Q5. Took like 10 days, but they sent an excellent response. This was a couple years ago.

15. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.

Do you have a pic of the crack on the bass?

I understand about being anal..I am too!

16. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Fortunately, mine is on my (gasp, do I dare say it?) beater bass, so I did get it at a fair price. But, I'm very anal as well about the Elrick, Sadowsky, MTD, Rob Allen, Roscoe, Sukop, Fbass, '66 Jazz. It's actually nice to have one that I don't have to worry about, worry about as much anyway. I still baby the beaters, I just don't get as stressed about them.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Call it as you wish thumper, but I wouldn't call it a beater....how bout player?

[​IMG]

18. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I stand corrected, henceforth I will always refer to my Genesis as my player. BTW, my finish cracks are mainly around the graphite neck inlay near the body, not as pronounced on the body itself.

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It's your bass, you can call it whatever you would like :D

20. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I prefer player :bassist: