Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modulus fb4 questions. bart or lane poor with ashdown amb 500

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Nov 28, 2004.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i have a modulus flea bass with bart p/u and aguilar op1 preamp (bass+treble). a guy at a local music has a used lane poor p/u he will sell for 300.00. is it a big difference in the sound?(a 300.00 difference?) ive heard lane poors are the sh*t in a flea bass. the salesman is really pushing it. i also have a ashdown amb500 evo2. does anyone play a flea through an ashdown? im just looking for some setting ideas. i just havent quite got the sound im looking for. i play rock through a genz-benz 6x10. i also have a brand new modulus vj4 that im looking to trade for another flea bass. or maybe sell. Thanx BEEF

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Never had a Lane Poor but find it unlikely they're worth the price they frequently command - but I don't know for a fact. Last check the price range on a LP MM roughly ran $200 on low end to $300 top end. I could have bought one for $250 a few months back and passed.

You might try asking them if they'll drop it in your bass and let you check it out before buying it. If you thought you saw dollar signs in their eyes they'll probably do it for a nominal fee if not free. Drag your rig in and some recorded tunes and see what you think. If they're not up for that, offer them less for the pup and see what response you get.

LP's are fairly rare so it may be a while for you get another crack at one so you need to use your imagination and work fast. But there are always more pups and I've seen more LP MM's for sale than any other LPs. And there are plenty of good pups out there.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The cliched answer is that if it's worth it to you, then it's worth it.

I think the whole Lane Poor thing is a bit over hyped, personally. There are plenty of good aftermarket MM pickups out there these days. But the real question is, do you want to change pickups because you're unhappy with your current sound? If so, there may be other cheaper pickups that get the sound you want - other bart configs, seymour duncan, nordstrand.

luknfur has a good point, re getting them to install and try it out. He might be the only source you can see , but you might be the only buyer so you do have leverage. I don't think the average bass player in the street knows much about Lane Poor.

4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm one of the few people that doesn't like the Lane Poor in a Flea - much prefer the Bart, but I use a Bart preamp system.

I'm also not an Aggie person either, even though so many swear by them.

I do use the Ashdown ABM head though -- love it! :)

Did you go with the LP?

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    One thing to consider with other pickups is whether they will drop right in or not. I got a Nordstrand MM replacement for my Flea and it involved having the body routed. Apparently there is a standard size for MM pickups but other mfrs such as Bartolini will make something in a different size/layout and call it a MM pickup.

The Nordstrand does sound sweet mind you. Well worth the modification time and a lot less expensive than a Lane Poor would have been.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    That sounds real wierd. I just had a Nord MM and I didn't notice anything different about it's dimensions. I didn't have an MM routing to drop it in but I didn't notice anything different about the pup just in handling it when I had it. Of course I wouldn't notice a minimal difference unless I tried to drop it in. I can't imagine what would possess a manufacturer to make an replacement pup that is not a drop in for the original.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Wasn't yours a 5 string flea bass? I tried a bart , sd and nord mm - they all fit the flea 4 dimensions.

8. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    And you liked the Nord the best?

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I only tried the SD in the route, didn't actually wire it up.
    I've heard the Alnico SD before in a stingray and loved it. The Nord gave a great sound in the Flea. I'd say there'd both good choices.

10. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i didnt get the lane poor. i just got a modulus vj4 ive been messing with. im having a hard time getting a good sound with either modulus through the ashdown. i think im gonna keep messing with it and figure out my new setup before i start trying to replace pickups and stuff. how do you set your eq with the flea bass? i think im over doing the grind knob a bit. im getting a real muddy sound. ive only owned ampeg stuff and still trying to figure the ashdown out.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

mud is midrange. If you cut around 200Hz a couple decibles it should help. I try either starting out flat and working with slight cut and boost or severly cutting everything. If it sounds passable with everything flat, starting out flat will probably work. If it sounds too busy/unclear flat, I cut everything, get the an approximate volumn level and go up on eq from there. Gadgets like tweeters, combination channel switches, frequency switches, etc. makes for more tone variation but can make it a pain to get a given tone. A switch thrown one way or the other can make the difference.

Having tried more pups than I can remember, it's a pain working with unfamiliar pups that don't respond similarly to what I'm used to.

12. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i think my problem is im trying to get a sound with my knobs on the bass wide open. i play pretty agressive live. i was laying back a little on the bass and even more on the treb. (eq knobs on the bass) but they move around as i do. so im trying to just crank up all the knobs and cut back the eq on the amp to make up for it. i was plying with more mid on the amp eq. i need to just quit thinking bout it and let my ears do the work. i am thinking about getting rid of the vj4 and getting another flea bass. the vj4 has bart pups with a bart 9v preamp and it just doesnt go where the flea will. i have to change basses alot during sets due to different tunings and its alot of work getting the sounds to try to be the same.

13. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I have an Ashdown ABM400 (earlier version of the 500) and two Modulus basses (and a Stingray with a Nordstrand) and I really doubt it is your amp. I have a Quantum 4 with EMG 35CS pickups and pre and a passive Genesis VJ with Fralins. I have the Ashdown set pretty close to flat, slight mid boost and the "Push Flat" not engaged and I find my tone to be anything but muddy. Very clear, punchy with that Ashdown warmth. My Genesis VJ originally came with Bartolini's by mistake and they were quite muddy with very low output. I also had a Lakland 4-94 that originally came with Barts, and that too was quite muddy, almost "smothered" sounding. I changed those out for Duncan Basslines and was much happier with the results. Some people love the Bart warmth, but I seem to like a more open sounding pickup. I have found the Ashdown to be a very versatile amp, maybe not as grindy as an Ampeg, or as clear and hifi as an SWR, but a nice in between. Clear, yet warm at the same time. Try playing around with your amp settings, but what your are describing seems like the typical Bart sound to me.

Chris

14. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Great post -- I hear you on the Barts. They are a little on the fuzzy side, but they get great, full lows which I find SD doesn't (although I'm only referring to the stock Stingray MM). Comments?

Regarding getting a good tone out of the Ashdown: I find pushing the "flat" button makes it sound worse. If you want to set it flat, just set the dials to 12 and take out the flat button - it sounds different (better).

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Note: Mine is the Flea 5. I wasn't sure if the 4 was going to have the same issue as mine, just thought I'd make you aware just in case.

And I do like the sound of the Nord a lot better. I've never really dug the Bart/Modulus sound but I got the Flea because I wanted a 34" with a graphite neck (I live in the midwest) and I just figured I'd have to deal with the sound. I had no choice but to swap out the pickup for other reasons anyway and the Nordstrand was just an (educated) shot in the dark. As it turns out the coloration of the Nordstrand wired in series works nicely with the sound of the Modulus. I think the Barts are better off in all wood basses.

Also I agree that you should be letting your ears do the work. Cranking knobs arbitrarily will get you nowhere. You have good gear, your ears should be able to tell you what's going to work best.

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Barts I like even though I rarely play them. There's basically a Bart tone and quality but they've made so many pups they can sound very different. Muddy is not a quality I would associate to a Bart pup. Some of their deep tone pups are so dark that they encourage adjustment that would make them muddy in an attempt to brighten them up. Splitting coils and adding caps was the best fix I found - before I learned to steer clear of deep tone pairs.

I had a Bart MMC and MME and they just were not what I had in mind. I prefer the Alnico 5 MM's so I doubt the LP's would suit me either. There was a post not long ago questioning close resemblence between an LP MM and the Bart classic MM. Not much response and no suprise cause the probability of someone having had both of the pups for comparison would be slim. Probably have more luck contacting Bart and asking if they made a conscious effort to duplicate the LP tone in that pup. Given the appeal of LP's, I'm a bit suprised none of the manufacturers seem to do it and advertise as much - given all the effort expended towards vintage Fenders.

17. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i just got a new fb4 with lane poors and a bart preamp. its a 97 black sparkle one. there kinda rare so i had to jump on it. thats my favorite finish. ive been looking for this bass forever. but now i gotta sell my modulus vj4. its brand new. i got it from bass nw in september. its brown sunburst with a tortis shell pick guard with bart pups and bart preamp. ill put an ad up on classified later. ill try selling it here before ebay. if anyone is interested email me....