1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus FB5 + Flats = WIN!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bardolphus, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Wow! After reading a lot here about flats vs. rounds, I decided to try some D'Addario Chromes on my Modulus. Playing through Ampeg SVX these sound absolutely amazing! With the FB5 I was getting to where I didn't like the treble or mids up at all. Was just too piercing...maybe? Anywho, with the flats on - I know they're new and will mellow out some - I have the perfect balance of thump, highs, and mids. It just sounds incredible. I had always wondered how/why anyone would want to play with flats as I loved the zing and brightness from a new set of rounds but I have seen the light! My only hang up right now is that they feel kinda sticky. From what I've read this will subside somewhat after awhile of playing them. I would've never in a million years guessed that I would love the sounds of Flats + Modulus.

:hyper:

2. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Nobody with similiar findings? Cool...

3. paul_s

paul_s

Jan 12, 2008
    Winnipeg, MB
    Now try them in a band mix, and then come back and tell us how much you like flats! :)

4. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    From what I've read I'm going to be absolutely amazed...certainly hoping so!

5. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Certain type of strings will go well on certain bass and also depend your taste as well.

I took the set of D'Addario Chromes off my P bass and strung it with a set of rounds and the sound is completely bad to my ear so i put the Chromes back on my P bass and it just sounded perfect to me, lots of thump and mids on my P bass and I will never take it off again.

Consider my set of D'Addario Chromes is 2 years old. They sound bloody amazing still.

6. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    That's another thing I'm hoping for, not having to replace the flats nearly as often. My hands/skin are quite oily and seem to completely demolish rounds pretty quick. From the reading I've done, there seem to be a lot of folks that can get at least a year if not more out of the flats...time will tell.

7. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    have chromes on my pedulla and they are perfect

8. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i forgot what the chromes is look like when they are new. My still look like its new string but with abit of beat up to it. People tell me my flats look like it been though alot haha