1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus flea 4 question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist22, Aug 17, 2007.

1. bassist22

bassist22

Mar 16, 2007
    Hi

I have a fender jazz and i recently have been gettgin a lot of GAS for a modulus flea.
    My only concerns are that the sound may be too harsh because i take the roll of the tuba and string bass in some bands.
    Also, is there a way of gettgin fret extensions for a modulus flea; to the 24th fret?
    I'm not the richest guy in the world, so i can only afford a 2nd hand one and worst of all, no music stores around me have a modulus flea for me to try out.
    please help me answer my concerns,

Thanks

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    A Flea is designed around a Stingray...it's possible, but it still might not get you the sound you're after. I don't think they do fretboard extensions, but I could be wrong...

If you're gassing for a Modulus, you might wanna think about a Quantum. They can do anything. Mine does!

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I have played 3-4 different Fleas over the last few years. Every one of them was way over-the-top on the brightness level. Its not just that they had a lot of highs, its that the highs were very brittle and unpleasing to the ear.

Of course, I saw Stefan Lessard of DMB using a few Flea basses live and his tone had almost no treble. Many it's the user? :D So, I think they can work with the right EQ, but there are better basses for the job you are describing.

4. JimS

JimS Supporting Member

Isn't it 'easy' to roll off/filter/attenuate the high end?

5. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    If you want a mellow tone, it can be had out of that bass. Like I said, Stefan Lessard gets a mellow tone out of it. I don't have a mellow tone. I like Jazz basses and EBMMs. I like a snappy high end with some crunch. If I EQ the brittle high end out of the Flea, I have a tone I don't want. If I leave the high end in, I have a tone I don't want. Like I said, you could get that sound out of the Flea, but that doesn't mean its the best tool for the job.

6. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Get the Flea Jazz bass. Can go from warm, very warm in fact, to sizzle.

Mine has the Bartolini Jazz pups with the Aguilar OBP-3 preamp.

Killer bass IMO.

7. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I play a modulus flea and get a really mellow sound of it. I think a lot of it is in the player. When most of my buddies play it(granted they are usually guitar players) they can only seem to get that harsh graphite tone that we all know. I really dig it because without touching the eq I feel like I can get a lot of usable tones. Mine has the Lane Poor pup and the bart preamp just FYI.

8. Let's see - a Flea bass but with warmth and 24 frets.

My friend, you want a Zon Sonus.

[​IMG]