Modulus Flea 5--B String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Any good? I noticed its a 34' neck, and I've had nothing but bad luck with 34' scale B strings, Anyone have expirience to offer?

Thanks, Nate
  2. optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    i've talked with several people and i was initally deciding between the flea 5 and the stingray 5 and everyone i talked to told me i would be much happier with the stingray. the only plus side to the modulus is the carbon neck (if that's your bag).

in the end you're the one pluckin that bass, so make sure you're happy!

good luck

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    When you say bad luck, are you referring to string tension, sound, or both? I've actually experienced the opposite. Zon Sonus Custom 5's have a pretty thunderous B, and that's a 34. I've played the Flea 5 and thought that it was a very nice playing bass, but that just my opinion. I play with a pretty light touch, so the lack of string tension is better for me. In general 34's do sound differrent 35's. 34's to me have a fatter sound while 35's have a more piano like tone. The only way to find out if you like it is too try it.
  4. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I have a Zon Sonus Special 5 (34") and I love the B string. The tension is fine and it sounds great. Lots of clarity and punch. Some of it may have to do with the headstock design. Zon's tuners are mounted a pretty good distance from the nut, even the B. Doesn't really help with the Flea question, but the best thing to do is probably try both. I have had other 34" 5s where the B was sloppy. A lot of it probably has to do with the bridge and head design.

5. yea, mainly im thinking about string tension, i hate floppy b strings, hate the sound, the touch, everything :D

so im debating here, interested in the carbon graphite neck, i've tried it and i like it, thats definitly the road im taking next, i play the quantum, i loved the b string, but i do like the 34' scale flea (at least the idea of it, havent had a chance to play one yet) so i was wondering what other people thought of it... so yea halftooth, im thinking mainly about string tension when it comes to a b string, thanks!

oh and btw, dont tell me to buy a zon or some other ridiculously expensive bass witha graphite neck, it only reminds me that im broke :bawl:
  6. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Isn't a Flea 5 an expensive bass with a graphite neck?
  7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My thoughts exactly! For whatever reason though, you can find these pretty inexpensive used though, wheras it's a little harder to find Zon's and even some q's that cheap.
  8. :D

i just knew someone was gonna come tell me to get a zon or somthing...i dont have THAT kinda money to shell out...:meh:

From what i hear, modulus fleas are well worth the price, ~$1500 isnt TOO bad for a bass like that...better than a q, however, q5's B strings are very nice... just wondering how the flea5's b is... thanks all for the feedback

9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I paid less than $1500 for my Zon Legacy Standard 6 (now owned by Boogiebass). 34 inch scale with a KILLER B string, and a very nice and comfortable neck.