Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Flea 5 or Quantum 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am trying to decide which of these I would want, let me know your thoughts. The Mod Flea 5 Lakland setup with Black on Black Pearl pickguard looks pretty tight, but will it match up to a Walnut or Bubinga q5? Hmmmm...

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Walnut Q5. No brainer.

3. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Personally, when I think of "Modulus", the Quantum is the model that comes to mind.

And not to make your decision any harder ;) but keep in mind that you can order the Flea with a Bubinga or Walnut top - and without the pickguard.

The good news is that you really can't go wrong either way.

Good luck!
    darrelpr

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    As far as sound goes, I'd prefer the Q5 but that's just my personal opinion.

5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    anyone else know what the "sound" difference is between a bartolini equipped Flea (lakland setup) and a quantum? anyone with adjectives feel free to post your heart out.

6. I would have to say the Quantum too. I played a Q6 today and it was very comfortable for a 6er eventhough I'm not used to it. What about the Warwick thumb basses? Man I love the Jack Bruce sig model fretless.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Personally as far as 5's go I perfer the Modulus Genesis series with the graphite/wood necks and the wood fingerboards. Really nice tone. I don't care for the Quantum tone that much. A bit too snappy for me on the ones I've played. I have dug the Modulus Flea 4's that I've played but haven't played the 5. COnsider the Genesis though if it's in your price range.

brad cook

8. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Quantum by a mile.They sound really good on stage.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A Bart Flea (or a Lakland, for that matter) doesn't have anywhere near the clarity of a Quantum. But a Quantum sounds nothing like those basses either, of course. All depends on what sound you're after. Quantums (one of my favorite basses) excel at punch, clarity and upper-register detail. They're great for slap and they cut through very well but they also sound great played with a pick or finger-style.

Bart Fleas are sorta super Stingrays, with a sharp, growly character and punched-up lower mids characteristic of Barts in general. They're made for slapping but may not suit other styles as well.

Laklands, BTW, are much warmer sounding overall than any Modulus and have a somewhat hybrid mix of traditional/modern tones, appealing to old-school players as well as more contemporary ones.

10. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    What I actually meant was a Flea 5 with a Lakland pickup setup. MM and J, would this make the flea more versatile? Thanks, Marc

11. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Can I get the same fundamental out of the low notes on a flea as I can on a quantum? thanks

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I second the Modulus Genesis. That's a great, very warm sounding fiver.

Whoever commented about the snappiness of the Quantums I must say that I feel the same when you play a Quantum by itself but they DO tend to sit VERY well in the mix. Every time I've heard a Quantum live or recorded it's sounded really nice.

brad cook

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I've never known of another guy who has a signature model but plays Fender's in their video's
    Do you think he plays them on the albums???

14. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI