Modulus Flea 5 w/ MM5.2 FS/FT

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by msquared, Jun 3, 2005.

1. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    This is a 1998 Modulus Flea 5 string in excellent condition. The finish is a subtly striking black sparkle with matching headstock and grey pearloid pickguard. It's the same bass I've mentioned in various posts and which is my avatar picture.

I am selling it because I've been wanting a thicker necked bass for a while and I don't really need a thin necked shred/chord happy bass right now. When I do, it'll be another one of these.

I got it a little over a year ago and it's been my main bass since then. It plays like butter and sounds wonderful, largely due to the Nordstrand MM5.2 pickup I put into it. The wiring allows for true passive when the volume knob is pulled and the midrange on the Bartolini NTMB 918F is at 400Hz, or 800Hz if the mid knob is pulled. It's got Schaller strap locks installed. B string is better than most 34" scale basses I've played on. Tuning machines are fine. Obviously there are no neck warp issues. :)

In addition to the bass you get a stunning beat to hell and painted on Music Man molded plastic case. Despite looking awful, the case does a great job of protecting the bass while making it look like there's nothing worth stealing inside. You also get the strap locks of course.

I'm offering the same three day tryout period that Noobe is offering on his 'Ray. If you buy it, you have three days to play it and make sure you love it. If you want to return it for any reason whatsoever, I'll refund everything but the shipping.

I am $1200 into this bass and would like to get most of that back but honestly I have no idea what a modded Flea 5 goes for. So make me an offer I can't refuse and it's yours. This is for sale locally as well so I reserve the right to pull this if someone around here nabs it. I'll consider trades, especially SR5s.

Here is the picture I've posted before.. I'll take more as requested.

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    mmm $750 :bag:
  3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Aw man... just when I think I'm safe.
  4. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
  5. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Trade bait sent via PM....
  6. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    All PMs replied to, thanks for the responses.

And Funky Tune, I assume you mean $750 + trade? :)
  7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    flea basses with a nordstrand are the real deal...and the flea 5's that i've played have had incredible B strings. don't pass this one up.
  8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've owned this bass twice, and david wilson has owned it as well. It's a sweetie. Looks like someone did a nice job routing for that pickup too.
  9. kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    is that pickup not a direct replacement? did you have to route the bass?
  10. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The original pickup hole was smaller by something like 3/4" long and 1/8" tall. I'm not sure how it goes with a four string Flea, but one unfortunately can't just drop an "original size" MM pickup into a Flea 5 without doing some routing. I consulted Jay from Blueberry Hill and Carey Nordstrand about this mod before I did it and got the thumbs up from both of them, and off I went.

I have no router (of the woodworking variety) so I had to have someone else do it. The person I picked to route the body mainly does acoustic guitar repairs/rebuilds as well as building custom solid body and archtop jazz guitars for local cats. He built a plexiglas routing template for the MM5.2 specifically for the project, which will come in handy when I buy another one of these down the road. :) The pickup fits like a glove and looks great. The pickup cavity was repainted with flat black conductive paint for shielding purposes.
  11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    + trade/ men the only that i already have is $750 and my underwear :D
    oh yeah and my Honda Prelude with NOS but this iis here in Puerto Rico
  12. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City

Thanks to everyone who kicked tires, etc.