1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Modulus Flea Bass (FB5, Funk Unlimited) with mods! Soundclips! Price drop!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by gonzkal, Mar 3, 2020.

1. gonzkal

gonzkal Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2015
    New York City, NY
    Price:
    Strings:
    Up for sale is a 2001 Modulus Flea Bass (FB5, now known as Funk Unlimited) 5 strings with important mods (mainly Delano pickups with coil tap and Aguilar OBP-3, see below). This is an exceptional bass, with a distinct growl and likely the most comfortable neck I've ever played. The added neck pickup and coil tap for the bridge humbucker makes it super versatile. I'm selling it only because I've ordered a Devon that will make this FB5 redundant tone-wise and I'm trying to keep my stable to a minimum as I'll be moving this year.

I bought it used from a reputable store back in 2003 in Switzerland, I believe I'm the second owner. I gigged extensively with this bass, I would rate its condition as 7/10, mainly because of 1-2 dents and lights scratches. I made sure all of them are visible in the pics below. None of them affect playability. The frets are still in great shape.

The mods: in 2011 I had a professional luthier in Switzerland do the following: (i) replace the original nut with one made out of carbon fiber; (ii) replace the stock preamp by an Aguilar OBP-3, with two frequencies selectable for the mids; (iii) add a neck pickup (the FB5 stock only has the MM-style humbucker), this is a Delano JMVC 5 FE/M2, technically a split-coil but really sounds like a hum-free single coil; (iv) replace the stock "basslines" MM humbucker in the bridge position with a Delano MC5 FE with a coil tap to select the outermost coils (hum-free thanks to phantom coils) or to have both coils in parallel; (v) with the added neck pickup and its volume pot, I needed a new pickguard (though I still have the stock one somewhere), the one currently installed is made out of maple, with a ramp. I think all these mods add a lot of value to the bass: it can still do a convincing Stingray tone, but it now has so many more!

Soundclips! Recorded straight into my RME Babyface, EQ flat on bass, no effects whatsoever except normalization and 1-2 dB of limiting for better listening experience. I played the same riff 5 times, changing the pickup selection each time to show off the variety of usable tones: (i) bridge pickup single coil; (ii) bridge pickup both coils; (iii) neck pickup; (iv) both pickups with bridge one in single coil; (v) both pickups with bridge one with both coils. Listen here.

Full specs:
    • serial number 010439, built in 2001
    • 34" scale
    • alder body
    • bolt-on carbon fiber neck, 22 frets, phenolic fingerboard, compound radius
    • bi-directional truss rod (can create relief in both directions)
    • 10 lbs 7 oz
    • Modulus-branded Gotoh GB70 tuning keys
    • ABM bridge with single rails, adjustable string spacing (max 18 mm, min 16.25 mm)
    • carbon fiber nut, 9.5 mm string spacing at nut
    • controls: volume neck pickup, volume bridge pickup (push/pull for single coil/both coils in parallel), bass, mid (push/pull for midrange frequency), treble
    • Aguilar OBP-3TK/PP 18v preamp with +- 18 dB @ 40 Hz, +- 16 dB @ 400 Hz or 800 Hz, and +- 18 dB @ 6.5 kHz
    • Dunlop Dual Design strap buttons (super convenient)

The bass is currently strung with D'Addario EXP 40-60-75-95-125.

The price does not include shipping. PM me with your location and I'll come back to you as soon as possible with a quote from USPS. Paypal preferred.

Feel free to ask anything question and/or PM me. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    RedMoses, Acoop, Reedt2000 and 2 others like this.
  2. 76JazzRay

76JazzRay

Mar 30, 2009
    Arizona
    Good looking bass

gonzkal likes this.
  3. daddymactx

daddymactx Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Wyn Basses, Curt Mangan Strings, Fireye,
    Awesome bass with interesting pickup upgrades. GLWTS!!

gonzkal likes this.