Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus flea bass project finished (sorta)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I posted a thread a while back about one of Flea's smashed touring basses I had bought, and wanted to rebuild. I have it pretty much finished, and am using it as my main bass now. First gig with it was last night, it played and sounded wonderful!

Since Modulus wanted to be of no assistance to me, being information, selling parts, etc., I was on my own finding them. I lucked out, and through a lot of searching, found a fell who had dismembered his flea bass, and used the neck on a custom J bass. While he had done some experimenting on the body, it was indeed able to be saved. He had a J pup installed in the neck position, had three extra holes drilled in the electronics cavity for extra pots, and switches, and lastly he attempted to route for a second J pup right behind the MM route. My singer/guitar player/tech, Scott Adams did a wonderful job repairing the body. He filled the MM route with a fitted piece of wood, then used filler to smooth it out, and fill the extra holes for unneeded pots. Scott also did all of the preamp and pickup wiring, and he also had to widen the neck pocket to fit the neck. I believe this neck to be a prototype model, therefore I am not surprised it is a bit wider at the heel than a standard issue Flea bass.

The neck had a couple of spots where the clear coat had been knocked off, and there was also some minor fingerboard separation, from Flea's smashing process. I sent it off to Micheal Dolan, and he did a wonderful job of repairing it for quite reasonably. I'd reccomend Dolan for anyone needing any kind of guitar or bass repair.

I got lucky and contacted one of the two original Lane Poor employees, and was able to buy his last remaining MM humbuckers, brand new in the pack! It wasn't cheap, but holy cripes.....the tone!!!!! An Aguilar OBP-1 was bought from Pitter Todd 4ta for a song, it sounds great with the LP pup!

Remaining assembly and setup was done by yours truly, and I couldn't be happier. I wanted to buy this bass as strictly future collector value, given it's past, and am able to put it back to it's state where flea left it. I also got a great player in the meantime!

I haven't decided whether to add a J pup in the neck position, and a blend pot or not, but I will leave the route there to keep my options open. I'd like to have it painted in the future to match, but it isn't really a priority to me at the moment. I was never a huge fan of the sparkle paint jobs, but it does indeed look killer under the lights on stage!

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    IS..... THAT..... A ....

BONGO??? :D

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    above pic is of the donor body as I got it. Courtesy of Roxy McDaniel.......thanks!

Here is a pic of the bass as I got it.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    finished body

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Back.

I "custom made" the rear cover from a DVD cover. Use whatcha got.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Last one

7. Wow good job man.

I love the sparkle finishes on those Flea basses esspecially with blue.

Looks great

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You know, I've never liked any of the sparkle finishes until last night. TB'er Cheezewiz was at my gig, and I turned it over to him for a song. The sparkle finishes look killer under some par cans!

9. I was just wondering (not thats its a big deal) but are you going to get the small section that were filled in near the mm pickup and control knobs re-finished?

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I may eventually get it repainted, but I am not to worried about it right now. It's a great playing and sounding bass, and if I get it painted, I'll have to be all worried about dinging it! It's fun to have a great bass that you don't care about dinging and scratching.

11. Im sure it is...but i dont no that feeling seeing i only have 1 bass

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Same here brother, unless you count the other 1/2 flea bass body I own, or the squier.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tim's Modulo Ho definitely came out nice. It has THAT sound for sure. The LP and Aguilar combo is killer. The bass plays great, and sounds great, and no worries about dinging. It couldn't get much better than that.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    P.S. Tim...my BAC was about .130 by the time I got up there. I hope I didnt' embarrass you!

15. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Tim, that turned out great! I'm glad to have played a part in the reconstruction.

I've had three Flea basses with the Lane Poor/Bart 2-band setup, and they all rocked hard (a silver-flake 4, and two black-sparkle 5's). My local GC has a used Flea 4 with Lane Poor that I've been thinking about picking up.

16. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I've always wanted a Flea bass, They have great tone and look KICK ASS. The local GC has one used, pretty beat up for $1200, no thanks.

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    wow.. the other pictures made it look really good.. the first looked like the MM pickup was kinda slanted.. but the other pix shows that it came out better :) Congrats.. and Enjoy! :bassist:

18. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Do you prefer the modulus or the bongo?? i'm just curious...

19. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Tim,

I'm glad you got the bass together.
    Looks pretty good......

As for Modulus I e-mailed them but still have heard nothing back concerning your info.............

Sorry man......But I will keep trying!

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Man, that's a tough one. Two different birds really.... The bongo is definitely more versatile, but the flea is meaner. The flea is a bit of a one trick pony, but but bongo is a chameleon. I will say the Flea is more MY sound, totally agressive, bright, and the graphite neck makes it sound incredible. I couldn't tell you what I would pick if it were one or the other, I guess it just depends on what kind of music project I was in at the time, and how versatile I needed to be. Keep in mind, this is comparing the lane poor equipped flea to the bongo, the bart, and basslines ones don't hold a candle to the bongo. IMO, Lane Poor MM pups own about every other pup ever made. I do love the bongos, but ended up returning mine due to some fret issues, but I am sure I will again have another, but right now the Modulus edges the bongo out for me. I'll try to do some sound clips soon.