Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Flea Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Great Gonzo, Sep 9, 2002.

1. I've been playing bass for just a little over a year now, so I still consider myself a beginner, though I'm getting better and better by the day.

My main bass is a Washburn XB120 4 String, and I use a Crate 15 watt amp. I was wondering if there is a certain type of strings, or maybe a bigger better amp that'll get my sound more like a Modulus Flea bass? Or should I just save up and get a Flea bass?

I'm not going so much for Flea's sound, but more of David Ellefson's from Megadeth.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. Those basses are fairly versatile...They'll do a bunch of sounds...I'd say a medium-heavy gauge 45-50 ish....And a better amp...

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I would have to say that the Modulus sound is pretty unique to the neck and fingerboard material used, so I don't really think that just any bass, amp, or string combination can get that type of sound on just any bass. I would just recommend saving your money up and purchasing a Mod of some type. Their relatively cheap on the used market. I've seen some Flea's sell for less than 1000 that were said to be in great shape. Even the older Q's can be had at some pretty amazing bargains.

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Have you noticed that Dave Ellefson has a Two soapbar pup configuration whilst the Flea standard has a MM style pup??

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    These days Dave is using a Fender American DLX P-bass, you know, the one with the HB pup.....