1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Flea JB4 vs Modulus VJ4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Dec 31, 2006.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Given these two basses, with the same Bartolini pups and Aguilar OPB-1 preamp, do you think they would sound the same? I know the body shapes are different.

I see many VJ basses for sale at reasonable prices, but the Flea with the (2) jazz pups also has peaked my interest. I really do not hear much about the Flea JB.

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    With the exact same pups and pre, the differnce, if any, wouldn't be noticeable. The body design isn't different enough to change anything, and neither is the neck or the way it's bolted to the bass. In the end, it's mostly a matter of which body style you like the most.

I wish, oh how I wish, they made a Flea P/J and a Flea MM/J.

3. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The only thing that comes to mind is that the pickups on the Flea JB4 may be positioned slightly different than on the VJ4, maybe someone can confirm. That's one of the things that may cause a slight difference. Other than that, it comes down to neck shape (1.5" at the nut on the VJ4 and I think 1.56" on the Flea JB4 - again a slight difference) and body shape. Although I think you get 22 frets on the Flea.

Either case, both great basses. I have yet to run across a VJ4 to try out but I did try out a Flea JB4 once and I almost pulled the trigger on that one. It had the Bart single coils and a Bart 3-band. Played wonderfully and sounded great.