Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Flea mod's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Apr 4, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I was just searching through some of the old threads on this bass (which I'm considering buying- a Flea 5 or Spector NS5 [would LOVE a Quantum 5, but damn expensive!]), and it seems like many users will "only" play it with this mod or that mod; this pickup, that one;, this preamp, that one; 9V or 18V, etc..

So, what all mods have you proud owners made?

I'm kinda leaning towards this bass, as because I travel so much, and humidity is SUCH a friend to bass necks (especially here in central TX!), I need that stability over the length of a show.

I love the sound of Spectors I've had in the past (natural NS4CRFM w/ AAAAA top and amber NS5CRFM), but damn- you get those things outside and you're asking for it.

Also I have a very, very heavy touch so I'm not sure if that helps out any or not.

Anyhow- thanks! :bassist:

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've modded my Flea 4 pretty substantially. It came with a Lane Poor MM, and despite it being referred to as "they holy grail of tone", I swapped it out for a Nordstrand MM4.2 and have never been happier with it.

I've also added an active/passive switch to bypass the Bartolini NTBT in the event of battery failure, or for passive operation.

Finally, I added a series/parallel switch to "coil tap" the pickup. In retrospect, I should have bought the MM4.4 pickup (which is not yet listed on Carey's website) and installed an on/on/on switch and wired it for series/parallel/single coil operations. That being said, I'm not entirely certain how much I would have used the single coil option.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Bump (if that's legal here!) ;)

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    silky you might want to check out Aero pickups they make some of the best p'ups out there, and he makes a MM p'up anyway you want it :D

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i almost sold my flea bass a little while ago but i decided to keep it and swap out the lane poor for a nordstrand pickup. i haven't done it yet but i'll post a review as soon as i get it installed.

otherwise than that...it's a very solid bass and i haven't had to switch anything else out. i'm thinking of getting the badass bridge but it seems like the benefits of it aren't great.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Awesome. I really like the recorded tone you can get out of them, and I actually had a '97 Flea w/ the LP about 3 years ago, but I was a totally different player then, and had no right having that bass plus the Mesa setup I was using- I was friggin' clueless! :)

Does anyone know what Stefan Lessard has in his Flea's? Kinda OT I know, but still sorta relevant. :)

Depending on which pickup comes with my bass, I'll look into replacing it. Carey's stuff seems to keep coming up, which can't be bad.

7. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I think Stefan had a Jazz pickup configuration with an Aguilar pre-amp. That's my recollection.

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    BassGreaser: I'm more than happy with the tone of the Nord, I just wanted the quad coil version for the extra coil tap option. Not a big deal as I'm pretty much a 1-2 tone kinda guy without the need for a whole lot variety...

Mental Octopus: I can't wait to read your review with special regard to the comparison of the Lane Poor to the Nordstrand. I've already formulated my opinion on the matter, but would really like to hear how yours compares to mine.

9. glydebass

glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    Stefan actually uses the MM model he just has all this other insane gear that modifies his tone so much. His pickup I think is Bartolini but that might be different. His five string is also customed with 24 frets.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Yeah I know his rack gear setup is nuts, but I was just curious as to what mods he had on his Fleas.

11. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    +1. I've got THE original prototype Aero MP 181 Jazz (wrapped from a stock Lindy Fralin Jazz) in my Cote Continuum and it plays and records better than anything I have ever played or heard before.

12. It surprises me that people would only use it with mods. I played the stock ones and I think they sound great. If a modded one sounds that much better it must be a killer bass.