1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Flea Price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The D, Nov 7, 2006.

1. The D

The D

Oct 13, 2006
    I checked the price of the Modulus Flea bass on Musiciansfriend and found out that the 4 string is more expensive than the 5 string one. The Flea 4 costs $2,479.99 while the 5 string costs $2,149.99.

This doesnt make sense. How come the 4 is more expensive than the 5???? Someone explain this to me.

Im thinking of gettin the Flea bass to go with my HH Stingray. I love that funky bass sound!!! :bassist:

2. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    The only thing I can think of (I have to take a guess here, I work at a Guitar Center so I feel guilty by association) is that they priced according to the average list price of the Flea (which would include both the standard 4 and the 4 with J pups). They have the list price as $3,148 - $3,548 range for the 4 and just a stand alone $3,248 for the 5. But even this, my best guess, doesn't account for that huge $330 gap... the J pup Flea is still only a hundred bucks more than the standard 5. Final conclusion... Musician's Friend sucks (and, by association, so do I).

EDIT: Scratch that, I found your problem. The Flea 4 on MF comes with an Aguilar active pre while the 5 comes with a Bartolini 2-band EQ. The Aguilar is a $150 upgrade whereas the 2-band Bartolini comes standard.

3. The D

The D

Oct 13, 2006
    Thanks for the help man.

Is 2 grand worth spending for a Flea bass? I got GAS attack for a Flea bass right now.

4. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    For an aggressive funk sound, hell yes it's worth it... I think it's also worth poking around the net for other dealers that offer other electronics options so you're not locked into a $150 upgrade by default. Bartolini EQs are no pushover.

5. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
    might try ebay. Can usually find them for less that 2k.(sometimes with a lane poor)

6. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    I think you can get a Flea 4 for less, do to bass central or other dealers and you will find out, I have seen some used on ebay ofr as low as 1300 so that will do.

I recommend you to get the Aguilar Pre over the Bart

7. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Depends. . .it's tough to find a bass better than the Flea at what it does well. The question is, do you want an "agressive funk" bass and is that bass worth 2 grand to you? A Flea is definitely on my list of things to get someday, but right now, I can't even begin to justify the cost.

8. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    Go with a Stingray. You can get those for under a grand on ebay. That was Flea's sound for over a decade.