Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Flea replacement pickguards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Anyone know where I might be able to find one of these? I did a search, with no results....

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Since it is a sig series, you will probably have to call modulus

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    They have been zero help, from my past experiences, they will most likely tell me to go somewhere else.

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Been there.

What Modulus told me when I looked into this about 6 months ago

a) since the basses are handmade, each bass is slightly different, meaning each pickguard is slightly different, meaning there is no set template- a replacement pickguard would have to be custom made

b) Modulus will not simply sell you a pickguard

c) Modulus did offer to allow me to ship my bass to them and they would treat the pickguard replacement as a repair, we did not discuss cost

I went through WD Music/pickguards.com. Sent them a tracing. What they sent me (no returns on special orders of course) was correctly cut for size and the holes were in the right place, but Modulus uses a screw with a slightly larger than standard head, so the countersinks in the guard for the screw head were too small. I would either have to get new screws or drill out the holes a little more. Also, what they sent me was thinner than what came stock on the Modulus. I later inquired about this, they said they had no access to Modulus-thickness pickguards. I'm sure they would have allowed for the larger screwhead had I shipped a screw along with the tracing.

If you can get Modulus to answer the phone or e-mail, I'd try to get them to tell you who supplies their raw pickguard material and what the thickness is.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ridiculous....

Monkfill, do you have an old one you would like to sell? Please say you do.....please tell me it is white pearl :D Please tell me it was an FB4? To really make my day, tell me you have a lane poor humbucker sitting around too.

Unfortunately, I cannot ship my bass in to be "fitted" for a pickguard. The body is smashed in two, and I am missing the lower half of it. I wanted to get the pickguard ahead of time, to help the luthier obtain the proper body line, when carving out the new piece of alder, to replace the missing half.

For as much as I love the modulus products I have tried and owned, their customer service, and business policies SUCK.