Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus flea sounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Been a whole week since I have been here, but I got bored today and recorded some sounds with my flea 5, and since I had some PM's in the past with TB'ers asking about it, I thought I would post them. For the record, this is a Lane poor model, with the bart pre.

This one here, is what it does best IMO, thump tone!

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    By the way, this is a pure signal from the bass, through a $3 radio shack cable, into my sound card. Recorded with windows spund recorder. Here is a little Jaco harmonics....

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    And some cheezy fingerstyle progression.

4. very nice. I love my Flea 5.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    What kind of pickup/electronics does your flea have? I love the lane poor.... Also, these are 6 month old DR lowrider strings, which have got a lot of play time, including some sweaty gig time, can't believe they are still bright and crisp. I am now a DR believer!

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I played ANB's Flea a few weeks ago, and as you can hear on his clips..this bass just KILLS. It really made me a fan. The thing has a neck to die for..and THAT sound. You better hold on to that one ANB!

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds awesome. Hope you can make it to the someday-occuring Cleveland TB get-together-I'd love to try it :)

8. I THINK mine has basslines but I have no way of finding out, I emailed modulus but no reply :meh: Mine sounds a wee bit different than yours cause I just put on new strings yesterday :D

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Post some sounds, I'd really like to hear the differences! Mine sounds a lot like Flea (imagine that), but I don't mind! :D

10. That bass has a great tone. I want to hear what a 5 string Flea sounds like with the Villex pickups. I have a graphite Chapman stick with some and it sounds amazing. Some of the best sounding pickups I have heard, I would love to hear the bass version. They are passive but use some new form of magnetic flow technology. http://www.stick.com/instruments/pickups/pasv4/ that is the stick version. They make J style pickups for bass.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    OOPS....I screwed up trying to edit the first attachment, and deleted it. Here it is again, with drums.....

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that thing sounds really good. are those lane poors in there? what's the preamp?

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks Cheeze, John, and everyone else! I never thought I would like this bass so much before I got it. I had a stingray 5 for sale at the time, and a fella over the internet offered me an even trade for it. I did it mainly as an equity trade, figured the flea would fetch a few more bucks than a custom painted ray 5. It ended up being the best bass I have personally played, or felt (to me). So, my NS-2 got sold to keep this one. The sound is the sound I hear in my head when I think bass, and then some.

Yes John, that is a Lane Poor humbucker, with the Bart preamp.

Man, I sure wish these lane poors were more available......