1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Flea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigd4207, Nov 28, 2006.

1. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    I've finally caught the disease that is known as modulus. Can't get the flea bass out of my mind, I know that Flea actually uses Lane Poor pups, but the Modulus site says basslines with a 2 or 3 band bart eq, bart mm pup, or aguilar active pre. First, bart over basslines, which pup better reproduces the flea sound, second, is the aguilar with barts or basslines, sound clips would be awesome if possible. By the way, if I wanted to modify it I just would, I want to know what better REPRODUCES the sound from the factory.

2. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    If you want my opinion about the electronics, I say go with whatever, because seriously all active basses sound the same to me for some reason. I'm sure that doesn't help you at all, but I promise that someone will respond to this thread telling you not to get the bass because it's "stupid". DO NOT LISTEN!! it's obviously a good bass, and definitly get it if you like it.

3. All active basses don't sound similar, quite the opposite.

As far as I know, and I may get some flack for this, but the Modulus Flea is a Stingray ripoff, it's meant to sound in everyway like a musicman while having a composite neck, sparkles, Flea's name and a higher price tag on it. :bag:

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I really enjoy my flea quite a lot. It has a bart pup and bart pre. I think he uses the aguilar eq though. I don't care for the aggie, so I got the bart and like it a lot.
    I noticed more of the "flea" sound when I swapted the stock bridge for a badass bridge though.

BassoProfondo- I don't think you'll get any flack for that at all. Its completly true, except that I enjoy the modulus version a whole lot more. The neck makes it sound quite different than a stingray though.

5. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    Nobody could convince me not to get the Flea, the sound his bass puts out is just awesome. And to say the flea is a stingray ripoff, well that's kinda true as far as the shape goes, awful close to a ray, but the pup is simply flea's forte. You can't take away the man's sound because he switched brands, and I don't blame him, for as long as he used MM, they really should have built him a sig bass. He alone brought them a lot of buisness. I was thinking of going with the duncan and 3 band bart setup, does the bart pup come with the 2 or 3 band?

6. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    MM ripoff or not - does it matter? He hasn't recorded with one in years. Wal, Alembic, and Jazz basses. Now if you like Flea's live sound then the Modulus is the way to go.

7. I'm not knocking the Modulus, I love carbon-fiber. I was suggesting that you save yourself a ton of cash by buying a Musicman instead. They copied the stingray for sound more than looks, that's the way it wa supposed to be, it's Flea's signature sound.
    Fact of the matter is a better bass player will sound more like Flea using a jazz bazz than a lesser player playing Flea's own bass.
    Good luck with whatever pickup you decide.

8. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    I have had in the past Bart pups and Bart pre, not a good idea at all,
    And I currently have basslines pups and aggie pre, that is the way to go if you want the flea sound, that is as closer as you get, without the LP

9. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    What's up with the Lane Poor's anyways? Iv'e heard they are great, but are they not in buisness anymore or something, people talk like it's the holy grail of pups. And as far as the preamp, I'm thinking of slapping a u-retro, if I don't feel I get the most out of the stock eq. Last but not least, what is up with no coil switch, I thought that was kinda like standard on MM style pups, like that's what set them apart. Otherwise I don't really see the difference between a MM and a DC soap, other than the shape.