Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Fret Jobs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pickles, Apr 21, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I asked this on 'basses', but now I realize this forum is probably more appropriate.

Has anyone ever done a fret dressing on a no-trussrod Modulus? How did you do it, since you can't adjust the truss rod to flat to plane it out? The relief actually has to be carved into the fret surfaces.

The answer on 'basses' was 'send it back to Modulus'.

2. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I had an older Quantum that needed a refret, and Geoff Gould recommended that I send it to Jerry Dorsch, who owns Graphite Guitar Systems. He did a great job with mine. I've lost his number, but I think his email may be JGGS@aol.com. That was some time ago, so it may have changed by now.

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Zombie thread, I know, but did Jerry explain how he does it? It's about time for my Q5.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yep, it's remove frets, replane fingerboard to correct shape and proper relief, refinish, refret.

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :eek:

All that's required to do a fret level/crown/polish? I guess my bass isn't so bad after all! :p

7. Get ahold of Justin Kennedy TB user ModulusAcacia. One helluva tech, a Modulus player, does phenomonal fret work, and is a very nice guy to boot.

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    You don't have to refret a modulus to do a fret job.....LOL

You need to check the relief point on the neck and mark it at center, you then use a short leveling block (6") and work to the relief from both ends, get the frets level, then recrown and polish to taste. You may have to tweak some frets, but if done properly, it's not much different from doing a standard fretjob, except following the pattern of the neck bow.

This is only how I do them, there are probably different and better ways, but this is my standard procedure for any graphite neck.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I once heard of a jig used on acoustic guitars, that would seem to apply here. Basic idea was: body clamped down on the bench, face up; a few adjustable height trestles for under the neck; and an adjustable pulldown of some sort for the headstock. Clamp the body, pull down and adjust things till neck is flat, do fret dressing, and then release it to spring back to its original relief curve.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yes I believe that JC left that part out, but yes, it's called a Neck jig.

11. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Nope, I didn't leave it out, I did not figure the player would have a neck jig handy. I use mine on all fret work(as Jason knows...LOL). But you should try to avoid flattening a graphite neck for a fret job, and they are quite less prone to movement than wood. But yes, a neck jig is a handy safeguard if you have one, but keeping the neck supported along it's length is always necessary for a proper fretjob to be accomplished. ;)

12. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Jeez, if you gotta pull the frets to do a proper fret dress on a Modulus, then I guess I owe a couple of guys some money. :D

I just did basically the same as JC describes above, but used my neck jig as I do any any neck work (pretty standard tech work, go figure). It actually never dawned on me until just now that it might not be wise to flatten a graphite neck, but its been years and I've heard no complaints so prolly all good. Learn something new everyday...

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The thought of someone "straightening" one of my pre-adjustable relief Modulii in a neck jig does kind of weirds me out! :atoz:

14. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    This is one of the things you have to know beforehand, some graphite necks have pre molded or ground relief, and some don't. This is just one of many things you learn over time. It's not dangerous to flatten the neck, just when you do on a sculpted relief neck, you remove more fret material than needed as you move away from the relief point, thinking the .012-.020 is just uneven wear, and it makes more work to get back to a good action. It's not an absolute, so you must assess this for each graphite neck. This is why on a graphite neck I use the short leveling block instead of one of my long quartz beams. Graphite can be a different animal....LOL

15. Wyrm74

Wyrm74

Oct 28, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Hmmmm...my Peavey B Quad has a pre-truss Modulus neck and its about time to have the frets leveled. How much does something like this cost? Anyone?

16. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    It depends on your luthier, calling around for pricing will be your best bet. A lot of guys won't or can't do it. There are a lot of really good luthiers in the Dallas area.

17. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I should clarify, I was talking about cases with warped or twisted necks, not a simple fret dressing.

18. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    warped or twisted graphite necks?
    get a replacement from Modulus

19. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Seems like "PLEK" would be a good way to go on a graphite neck...

Any thoughts?

20. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Only if you are the original owner.