Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus fretboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Feb 7, 2002.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ok, I have the cash lined up to buy a new Modulus Quantum 5 (if I actually have the balls to lay down that much cash on a bass:eek: ).

I know that I want one with Bart pups and 3 band EQ. The EMG's just didn't do it for me.

I am probably going to go with a quilted or flamed maple top, unless something else strikes my fancy in the next couple of weeks.

My question is on the fretboards: I have only been able to play them with the composite fretboards, I have not seen a Grenadillo one in person. What is the main difference in tone between the two? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either one?

Thanks
    Ryan

2. The Grenadillo supposed to be warmer, but I like them both, I say go for it, there's some excellent second hand Q5's for sale if you hunt for one, the price should be around 1500 to 1700, check with bass northwest, elderly instrument or ebay. Might save you a pretty penny.

Have fun

3. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks modulusbassist,

Well, I think being I know what the ones with composite boards sound like, I will probably try to stick with one of them if possible (seems like that is what I see on most of them anyway).

I saw that one at gguitars, and if it didn't have chrome hardware on it, I would probably snag it. I don't care for chrome hardware much.

I have never played a Status. I have heard great stuff about them, but without playing one, I hate to lay down a lot of cash for one. Same with Zons. Heard they are GREAT, but I haven't ever played one.:( I am sure I am missing out.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    With the grenadillo fretboards they use, you really have to try them before you buy. They're very love/hate. They're VERY soft, and they completely change the feel (at least for me). The sound changes too, of course, but not as much. If you haven't tried...don't get it. I prefer the snap and punch of the composite anyway.

If you want to look at a couple cool tone woods, some of the most beautiful and best sounding Moduli I've heard have had the cocobolo and chakte kok tops. Modulus also suggests these for their basses for the best sounding instrument, and I think they're beautiful. Another thing to check out is canarywood. The examples of the above as Bass NW right now aren't great, but there have some in the past that have been just amazing!

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    My Q6 has a granadillo fretboard, and I couldn't live without it. You lose no clarity, but gain a little warmth on the top end. It is essential for the C string. I might get a five with the composite though...

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I totally agree with G. My Q6 has the granadillo board and it sounds much better to me than the composite ones. Mine has the bubinga top, BTW with Barts, 18v preamp (the one with the mid pot). The granadillo not only looks great but holds up very well and sounds, well, pretty spectacular.

7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Another vote here for Granadillo - I've got a 6 fretless with a granadillo board, and a 4 fretted with a composite board... I'm looking at getting another fretted 5 or 6 and will go for Granadillo, definitely...

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  9. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I am going to call Gard tomorrow and see what they have in stock and what kind of prices I am looking at for a new one.
    I will call BassNW on Monday (I believe their site says that they are now closed on Sat.) and do the same.
    Any other sites that I should check with??

Thanks for the info, guys.

Ryan

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The Bass Place in AZ usually has quite a few Moduli. www.bassplace.com Worth a shot!

If I were ever to get another Modulus fretted bass, I would get the wood board. But I still don't know if I'd get it over the composite if I could only have one! :)

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, I emailed them about that one. Sounds like it is pretty much going to be a done deal.:mad: It would have been about exactly what I want.

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is what I am scared of. Getting one with the grenadillo fretboard and not liking it as much as the composite. I guess I will probably just go end up going with one that I KNOW I do like, because I can only afford one of these things (for now;) )

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Definitely don't buy a granadillo board, at least not until you learn to spell it! :) modulusguitars.com

14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :p :p :D

Aww, shuddup!!:D

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  16. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I second the granadillo fretboard. Not only for the tone but the wood feels a lot better, especially when your hands are sweaty. Also, dont count out the Sweet-Spot version (one soap-bar p/u spaced ~2/3 back) I like it because the sound changes dramaticaly with the Right hand position. If you have to order one www.guitarvilla.com is the way to go. When I ordered mine, lots of places wanted top $ for a special order, G.V. was very helpful.
    RGDS

17. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001