1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus future values

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wireking1, Oct 23, 2013.

1. I have been gassing for a Modulus Q5 for a decade. What (if anything) does the loss of the company do to the future values of the basses? I am not looking for a bass to appreciate in value. But, I would want it to do a decent job of holding its value. Any thoughts?

2. Hidesert

Hidesert

Oct 7, 2011
    Santa Fe
    Buy a good one.
    Pay a fair price, hopefully below retail.
    Don't wreck it.
    You will always be able to sell it for about what you paid, maybe a little less, maybe a little more.
    These are great instruments, but not everyone wants a graphite necked instrument.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nah, I think they'll take their usual $2k hit right out the door, then fall from there as usual. I don't think they are anywhere near popular enough to go up in value, a la Wal or something.

4. I am basically wondering if I buy a used one for $2k would it likely be worth a lot less than that a few years from now? I am not familiar with the values of more boutique basses.

It seems like the American made production basses (Fender, Lakeland, Ric, etc) retain value pretty well. If you can pick one up in good shape that is a couple years old, it seems like a pretty safe bet the bass will retain a good bit of it's value.

5. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Used Modulus prices have seemed to be fairly stable. There are a ton of them out there but without any new ones adding to the pool it should be pretty easy to track any price fluctuations.

I always wanted one but couldn't fathom paying for a new one. I have two that I bought used. Both needed some work but both are stellar now.

Go for it! They definitely have their place in the pantheon.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Instruments aren't investments. Many guitar/bass companies have gone under and their instruments didn't increase in value. I don't see Modulus basses ever being cheap, but I don't see them becoming collectables.

7. I whole heartedly agree that instruments are not investments. Modulus has historically been pretty stable in value retention on the used market. The initial depreciation experienced buy whoever buys new is brutal, but 5-10 year old modulus basses seem to hold value decently. Again, I am not looking for appreciation, I just don't want to buy a use modulus for $1,500-$2,000 and have it be worth $500 in a couple of years.

At the end of the day, I guess all basses are all a bit of a gamble with resale values. We should buy them because you like them and plan to keep them.

8. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Are you looking for a fretted or fretless? Because the GC right down the street from me has a used Fretless Q5 on the wall for $1249.

Rob
    :bassist:

9. Fretted.

10. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    the Genesis is such an amazing bass.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't think they will go down to $500 any time soon. I'm only going with my gut here but I would think the ROCK bottom on a Modulus any time in the near future would be a cool grand. But even then I don't see that happening either.

12. Modulus has been on my "to do" list for so long it is going to happen! I can live with whatever the future financial consequences!

13. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I had no idea they went totally under. I was a solid Mod player for years and still love their stuff. I need to get me a Q5 and stat! I had like 6 or 7 of 'em in different variants over the years. My fave was definitely the ones with the chechen boards.
    The ones I see being more "collectible" will be the early Fleas with the Lane Poor pickups and some of the original TBX neck-through designs, which even now command a pretty penny IF you can even find one. I always wanted one and maybe that's what I'll hold out for.

14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I think you're correct.

I'm not sure that Status or Zon or some other company that offers carbon-fiber necks won't simply pick up the market share vacated by Modulus. It's not a huge mumber of customers.

15. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I bought my Q6 new, full well realizing I would take a hit if I were to sell it. I think a decent comparison of how Modulus basses might go in future value is how graphite Steinbergers have moved in value. About 10 -15 years ago, you could get a clean XL-2 for around $1200, give or take a $100 or $200. Now you are talking more in the $2,000 range. A definite appreciation but not earth shattering. Modulus basses might follow a similar path.

Bones

16. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yep. Zons are nice too. I always preferred my Mods but they are a nice alternative especially if you want that sound. I wonder what finally was the last straw for Mod? They just started redoing the TBX line and everything the last year or so, I thought.
    Really is a shame.

As far as the used market, I've seen them in the $1500-1700 range mostly, and figure they'll stay there (talking about the Q5 specifically), depending on options/features/etc..

17. bass08053

bass08053

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Maybe I should put away and hide my 25th anniversary Q5? Hehe. Even if it was worth more than the $5k they sold for when they came out, I don't know if I would ever sell it. Who knows. Great bass.

18. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    I can't speak to the value of Modulus basses but I can say something about how they sound. At a weekly Blues jam in my local community there's a cat that shows up with a beautiful Q5. He's an excellent player and his instrument sounds great. Better than all the Fenders that typically show up at jams like this. And the guy is a painting contractor. Gotta love it. Says he comes to the jam because he's too busy to be in a band. Sometimes he shows up with his Sadowsky 4-string. He's got some other high dollar stuff, as well. I don't think this gentleman is worried about Modulus resale values. He just loves the tone. And isn't that what counts? :)

M. M.

19. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    Love Modulus axes. Also, if you're into that sort of thing, check out the current production G. Gould basses, they may just knock your socks off

20. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011

:::runs to locate "Crystal Lake, IL" on Google maps:::