1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Modulus Genesis 5, Bartolini soapbars

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by gonzkal, Nov 28, 2016.

1. gonzkal

gonzkal Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2015
    New York City, NY
    Price:
    Strings:
    Up for sale is my 2003 Modulus Genesis 5 featuring a gorgeous quilt maple top. Quite rare in the TB classifieds with the Bartolini soapbars, this bass has a warm tone with excellent note definition and is incredibly stable thanks to the carbon fiber beam wrapped in wood in the neck. 35" scale, excellent low B. If you're interested in the story of this innovative design (collaboration between Michael Tobias and Modulus), there are a few threads here on TB about it.

It hurts to let this one go but I have to thin the herd as I'll be moving abroad soon and this one does not get played as much as it deserves. That's the main reason I'm selling it.

I believe I'm the second owner, I bought it from a friend in Switzerland in 2008. I gigged extensively with it for six years, mostly in reggae and blues bands. It's in good condition, everything works flawlessly. Full disclosure: there are some cosmetic flaws as a testimony to those gigging times. I did my best to capture them in the pictures. Most notable are some small dents at the tip of the headstock and on the side by the input jack. In no way do those dings affect the playing and setup, and the bass looks mint (and beautiful) from the audience's perspective.

Everything is stock apart from the tuning key of the G string. I replaced it two months ago with an identical one that I directly ordered from modulusgraphite.com.

I would describe the sound as modern but not overly hi-fi, warm without too much zing. Excellent note definition. Here are links to actual songs where I play it:
    And here is a link to a soundclip where I play it solo. In this little improvised groove I start with the neck pickup, then both pickups, and finish with the bridge pickup. The EQ on the bass is flat, straight in my RME Babyface Hi-Z input, recorded in Logic Pro, no effects whatsoever.

Full specs:
    • serial number 030228, built in 2003
    • 35" scale, 22 frets
    • about 10 lbs on my bathroom scale, very well balanced
    • Hipshot A style bridge, string spacing adjustable between 18 mm and 20 mm
    • 1.875" wide at the nut, 3" wide at the 22nd fret
    • alder body, beautiful quilt maple top
    • maple neck (I think), maple fingerboard
    • ingenious neck design: the carbon fiber beam handles most of the string pull. It's wrapped in wood, so the bass does not sound like a full carbon fiber neck (with its distinct sound sometimes described as sterile). Here, it sounds and feels like a traditional wooden neck, but with the stability of the carbon fiber. Impressively even notes all across the neck. Really the best of both worlds.
    • There is a truss rod. Honestly, no need to tweak it once set, the neck is so stable. As an example, I once played in an outdoor festival in The Gambia: the neck didn't move at all after flying from the cold and dry Winter of Europe to the warm and humid climate of Banjul.
    • very little fret wear, action can be set really low without buzz
    • Dunlop Dual Design strap buttons (so convenient)
    • Modulus GB70 tuning keys (Modulus-branded Gotoh GB7)
    • Bartolini soapbars (M4, I think)
    • Bartolini 3-band NTMB preamp, 18v: 15db boost/cut at 30Hz, 11db boost/cut at 400Hz, 16db boost/cut at 6kHz
    • Controls are volume, pickup pan, mid, stacked bass and treble.

The bass is currently strung with Cleartone emp 40-60-80-100-130. I will also include D'Addario Half Rounds 45-65-80-100-130 previously installed which I felt sounded really good.

It comes with the Modulus original case shown in the pictures. Very good condition.

The price includes shipping to Canada and CONUS via Canada Post/USPS. For the US, the buyer takes care of any duties and taxes on his/her side. Open to international buyers, please PM me. Paypal preferred.

Feel free to ask anything question and/or PM me. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    What a beauty!
    If this had the chechen fretboard I would have pulled the trigger in seconds !

3. gonzkal

Jul 18, 2015
    New York City, NY
    Ha! I hear you, I love chechen fingerboards too! But, you know, in some way the plain maple board emphasizes the top...

alangrus and ialma like this.
  4. Joshbazz

Joshbazz Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    What a beauty. If I can sell my thumb 5 nt soon I'll be in touch :)

5. timmy lee

timmy lee

Nov 26, 2016
    How much in Canadian dollars, I'm near Toronto?

6. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    These are great basses... I constantly regret trading mine away... GLWTS!

7. gonzkal

Jul 18, 2015
    New York City, NY
    Considering a rough rate of USD 1.00 = CAD 1.35, I'd say CAD 1890. If the exchange rate changes too much, I'll post an updated price in Canadian dollars.

8. gonzkal

Jul 18, 2015
    New York City, NY
    Thanks Fred! I sympathize, those are indeed great basses.

9. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NY
    Whoa!:wideyed: Cool bass!:thumbsup:

10. fragernackyl

fragernackyl

Nov 17, 2011
    Not open to trades, I assume? Been wanting to get my hands on a Genesis for years.

11. gonzkal

Jul 18, 2015
    New York City, NY
    Sorry, not looking for trades, I'm thinning the herd in preparation for moving abroad.

12. gonzkal

Jul 18, 2015
    New York City, NY
    And it is sold!

13. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    these play and sound great!!!!!!