Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Genesis 5, but not using Barts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Jul 7, 2005.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Has anyone ever tried to switch the pickups/preamp in a Modulus Genesis 5 to something else? I know they offer Villex, but that's a bit new to me.

Basically, I'm wondering what options one might have if they were to buy one of these basses, but want to use something other than Bartolini.
    And if anyone has one of these with different pickups, what do you think?

I am a newly found J fan, a graphite fan since I started playing (but took until '00 to afford it), and just your average "GASing for the ultimate bass" guy, so this seems to be a logical step for me. Oh, and I hate Barts and love projects.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have an upcoming project to replace the stock pre-amp and p/u's on a Genesis 5 as such:

* pre-amp = John East U Retro, 18v

* p/u's = still TBD Nordstrands

The current schedule for this is sometime in mid-August, pending arrival of the U Retro.

R

3. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I play a Modulus flea 5 that the previous owner, msquared, switched out the pups and put in a nordstradn MM5.2 sweet spot and it definitely made it a more full sound compared to the stock pups for a flea bass....i'd look into nordstrand.

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That is about exactly what I'd want to do. I definitely want to know how that sounds.

As rare as the Genesises (Genesi?) are to see around Cleveland, I have only laid my hands on 1 or 2 in my life and I liked them at the time. But I have a bad taste in my mouth from Barts, so I am avoiding them. I always wanted to see what ANYTHING else sounded like in a G5... EMG, SD, etc, but Nordstrand seems to be the new Sheriff in town.

5. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I forgot to make one small note in my earlier post:

When the U Retro gets installed, I will not immediately install the active/passive and bridge solo switches. I want my client to have the new set-up for a week or so, and make sure that he really likes it before I take the next step and drill two holes in the top. We have decided to make a cheap interim cavity cover plate and install the switches to this back plate so that he can utilize the switching. For the work he has planned during the evaluation period, there is little chance these will get bumped into a different toggle position during playing.

If everything goes as expected, I'll receive the bass back and install the two switches on the top.

R

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    So you aren't doing the U Retro DLX? Doesn't the bass have 4 holes for knobs already?

7. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I have a U Retro Deluxe on one of my personal basses, and my client gave this a whirl a few weeks back. For what he does, the 'deluxe' option didn't gain him anything that he found useful so he opted for the standard model. I personally find the 'deluxe' option useful, and utilize it to roll a little of the snap off this specific bass (swamp ash body with maple top, maple/ebony neck) for some tunes.

We do both agree that the 'deluxe' option is a required upgrade when installing a U Retro on a fretless bass.

R

8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have 2 Moduli... A Deluxe Vintage J with quilted top sienna finish, and a Genesis 5 String. The Genesis has the stock Bart 3 band and sounds good. The VJ sounds amazing though. I modded it by pulling the Bart 2 band pre and installing a U-Retro Deluxe. A separate battery compartment had to be routed for that one, the U-Retro wouldn't fit in the existing cavity with a battery in there too. I also have experience with Villex pickups. They're great, and IMO way better than Barts. I still have the Barts on my Moduli, but I have Villex on my new Linc Luthier bass, and a friend has them in his G & L Jazz. Here's my recommendation:

Get the Villex pickups. But, be sure you specify linear humbuckers (humcancelling Js), so that you don't get any 60-cycle hum. Use Villex's mid control. Add on a John East 2-band EQ. Villex's mid is easier to find a decent tone with than a parametric mid, like on the U-Retro (don't get me wrong, the parametric mid is awesome on the U-Retro, but it's not as nifty as Villex's passive mid control). Another option is to use the Aguilar 2-band. Now you have a 3 band EQ, and you've kept the hidden ingredient in Villex's design. Another great pickup is Kent Armstrong if Villex doesn't float your boat. I'm totally sold on Villex and John East, and Kent's fantastic as well. Aguilar amps rock too. You're on your way to a great sounding axe.... ;)