Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Genesis!!! But, Which One?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mz91, Oct 31, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Greetings fellow Talkbassers! :)

Well, its time for me to choose between two Basses. Being that i have never seen or played them it will be hard. All I know is i want one of these, so please dont try to comment on another Bass. I have a Modulus Quantum 6 SS.

[​IMG]

And for my next Bass, i wanted something that could do everything the 6 could not. Like Treena said im trying to cover all "Basses" ;)

Here are the two basses that im getting a great deal on from the local Modulus dealer.

Now im not sure what to expect. It looks as though the Basses will sound different. Im just not sure how. If anyone has any clues on what to expect on the sound i would appreciate you posting your opinion.

I am looking for versatility. And the bass shouldnt be as bright as the 6. The quantum with the EMG pickup is a very bright bass.

Both these Genesis have Bartolini Pickups and 3 Band active electronics.

The first has a Quilted Maple top and a maple fretboard.

The second has a Chechen top and grenadillo fretboard.

Well? Which do you think i should go for? :(

Thanks for the replies...

Greetings

Michael

2. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    The other one.[​IMG]

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Maple

[​IMG]

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    since your SS has a QMT, i'd go for the chechen top... to get a different type of wood/vibe/sound.

looks good too.

5. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Michael, out of curiosity, what's your laundry list of things the 6 can't do that you're hoping the Genesis will be able to?

6. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Well, first off its not very versatile. And its really bright. So i cant dial in really Bassy sounds. Or if i want to dial in a Jaco type sound i cant do that. With the one pickup i get a really nice sound. But it seems to me that i am only getting a certain range. Like if you were to blend the neck pu with the bridge pu. And i want to be able to get a bridge pu sound if i want. or a neck pu sound. does that make any sense? :)

Michael

Ps. Im looking for a tone like Meshell Ndegeocellos. I LOVE THAT TONE! :bassist:

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Aha, a thread I can actually contribute to!

First, IMO, the Genesis is HIGHLY underrated.

Mine is painted, so I don't know what the body is, I beleive it has the soma neck with grenadillo board and Bart Jazz PUPs. Even though it is only a 2 band EQ, it is extremely sensitive to blend and treble/bass adjustments. I can get deep thundering lows, glassy highs and snarl or growl. If it sounds like I really like this thing, look at what it's beat out in my rotation: Sadowsky 5, MTD 535f, Fbass BN-5f, Modulus Q5.

Since I liked it so much, I thought I'd get a boutique Q5 with fancy top, EMGs, and wood fretboard so I didn't have to take a pink bass into biker bars. Not gonna happen, not only is the Genesis lighter, but it has deeper lows. The Q5 can get a little brighter, but it also gets clacky sounding. Don't misunderstand, I like the Q5 alot, but the Genesis is so good, I think I'll look to trade the Q5 for a Q6, just to have a 6er in the stable.

To answer the question, my vote would be for the grenadillo board, as these things are already plenty bright, and it might smooth out the lows better than a maple board.

8. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    if you want the meshell tone, you gotta go with flatwound strings... that'll help out with your SS too.

9. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I saw M'Shell last weekend and she was playing a very old fender jazz. So... maybe a genesis isn't really even the way to go for her tone.

10. mz,
    Have you played both these basses? Do you know what differences there are between them in sound?

I've got a Genesis with Bart JAZZ pickups and the 3-band. Very nice "workhorse" bass. It's funny though - I would like mine to have a brighter, higher top end.

I think you're wise to get the soapbars. "More beef!" Let us know what you end up with.

11. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    The bass doesn't make the player. The player makes the bass. Meshell is the reason for the "Meshell Tone".

12. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001

this has been said a million times, and it's probably worth saying again...
    BUT, i think most of know it, and i'm sure the poster isn't looking for a magic bass... but just likes that tone, and wants the proper tools to help him work towards it...?

13. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    plays fender, but also a couple of other fender-ish basses as well. she endorses modulus, and plays another high end jazz... i forget which one. mike lull or something like that

14. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Makes perfect sense. I was curious because I recently made the move to 6 strings (Peavey Cirrus) and am really intrigued by the Modulus Q6 basses -- haven't played or really heard one first-hand, though. Me'Shell has got some wicked tone, no doubt...

15. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I vote for the Chechen/Grenadillo Genesis. I've had three different Genesis basses before, but they all had jazz pickups.

On your Q6, you do have the preamp wired for two 9v batteries (18v), right?

That is the single simplest upgrade for EMG preamps that are only running 9v. It really improves the tone and brings out the bottom a little more. If you already have it at 18v there may not be much you can do. Is the EMG preamp 2-band or 3-band? I found I actually could get more low end out of the 2-band, didn't care for the 3-band too much.

16. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    No I havent played em yet :meh: . But i doubt that a modulus will dissapoint ;) .
    Ill Pm you later.

Michael

17. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Yea, i have a 18 v preamp in the Quantum. :D .

And i know that the bass wont make me sound like meshell in a second. But i want to be able to get that deep vintage tone she has. Its a little hard to do with the Quantum SS.

Michael :bassist:

18. [​IMG]
    Treena