Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Genesis Sound.. Hifi or Vintage..??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by piper2614, Oct 13, 2005.

1. piper2614

piper2614

Nov 17, 2004
    Happy Bottom
    hey now,

ive been listening to several live recordings where the bass player uses a genesis. the body is alder with a quilted maple veneer. the pickups seem to be factory genesis barts , not sure on the preamp. im most curious if one would describe the sound as vintage or hifi. the lows are very clear and articulate not your standard "round" jazz sound. the highs have more of a "rounded" sound. would i would describe as almost "mid" sounding... im looking at replacing pickups and love the sound. any help will be appreciated.

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If you're trying to emulate the sound of a Genesis, keep in mind that a good part of that sound comes from the construction of the basses neck, which is a carbon fiber and wood hybrid.

I have a Genesis 5 with Bartolinis in it, but I've never pulled 'em out to check the model number. I'm pretty sure they're 59J's. But, it is also possible that the bass you heard has Bart soapbars, since that is an option from Modulus.

Genesis basses have either a Bart 2 band pre or an Aguilar OBP-3; mine has the Aguilar and I really like it a lot. The mid control is perfect for this bass.

Hard to classify the sound.........I guess it's kinda somewhere between hi-fi and vintage..........it's vintage-y in that the highs aren't really zingy, but then it's got that clear, robust low end as well. I kinda think the highs come from the Barts, which are famous for being a little muted on the high frequencies, but the lows come from the extra stiff neck.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a custom Mod Genesis. My is wrapped in Soma. I have a white Korina body and it is very HIFI sounding. I also have the EMG soapbar pickups with a EMG BQS preamp (18v). I can really get just about any tone out of the bass that I want. I use a SWR Bass 750(Pre Fender) and The possibilities are endless. I have a very vintage low end with a HIFI top end. Very fat and thick top to bottom. I also have 3 guitarist to cut through.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My wife bought me a Gen 5 when MARS when under. It wasn't my first choice but it has grown on me. Mine has the standard Bart J's and 3 band preamp (not sure of the brand). It has good definition without sounding clacky and is well-voiced with the EQ set flat. The action on these things is unbelievable.

Riis

5. piper2614

piper2614

Nov 17, 2004
    Happy Bottom
    hey now,

i guess i did a great job of avoiding the real question i was looking to ask. i'm most curious in the pickups themselves. the genesis i heard had standard bart j's but i wasnt sure if modulus had there own bart or if they used standard factory ones. ive basically got an sx that im planning on routing out and adding a pre and barts. i wasnt sure if the 59j's would do the trick or if the newer models are what modulus uses now.

thanks again to all

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm not sure which Bart pups I have and I'm not going to pull them for a looksey. The point is moot as any Bart is going to sound a helluva lot different in an sx than in a Modulus Gen. It's safe to say that any Bart / preamp combination you select will be an improvement over the stock sx electronics.

Riis

P.S. You can always call Modulus for a direct answer. Don't e-mail; they'll never get back to you.