Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Genesis?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Nov 13, 2000.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA

You know one bass I DIDN'T try out when I bought
    my Lakland was a Modulus Geneis. Any of you guys
    tried one of these?

One of my favorite players (Keith Moseley of the
    String Cheese Incident) recently switched from
    Lakland to the Genesis, so it piqued my interest
    in the product a bit.

Anyone checked one out? I'm told they are supposed
    to sound a bit less sterile than the Q5.

And what the hell is the deal with jam bands and Modulus?
    The list of boogie bands w/ Modulus players is
    huge: left over salmon, phil lesh, phish, blues traveler,
    dave matthews, blah blah blah ????

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The last time I checked out a Genesis was last week at MARS. I tried it through several amps (Roland DB700, GK, etc.) and it sounded like crap through them. Very sterile, hard sound.... there were a couple of bass players in the store who made a point of telling how great I sounded and how bad the Genesis was:rolleyes: Different strokes. Then I plugged it into a small Ampeg combo, a BA-115.

It sounded great. Warm, fat, articulate in a good way. The neck is on the thick side, kind of Fenderish. I'm partial to smooth sound and this bass, through the Ampeg, was smooth. I think it was $2199.

3. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    er, last time I checked, Stefan Lessard (bass player in the Dave Matthews Band) used Warwicks. I could be mistaken, though, I guess.

4. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Lessard does play Warwicks but he has recently picked up 2 fleas, a 4 and a 5, and a quantum 6...he also has a quantum 5 before this.

AS far as the genesis goes i don't know much other than the fact that it was designed partly by Michael Tobias.

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I saw the Genesis basses at last years NAMM show - really nice from what I remember. The neck is hybrid graphite/wood, with the graphite taking all the strain, so the wood doesn't have to be supportive. It is a co-design project betweeen Mike Tobias (who's got a pretty good track record in making unbelievable basses by anyone's reckoning) and Modulus. The necks are a bit chunkier than the Quantums, but the vibe is different, so it doesn't feel out of place. The ones I played had Bart pick ups and electronics...

Check the modulus web-site for more info - http://www.modulusguitars.com

cheers

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. I recently got the opportunity to play a Modulus Genesis Vintage Jazz, which I really had G.A.S. for a few months ago, and I was really disappointed. I'm not a fan of the way a graphite neck feels, but the stability is a great attribute, so I figured the Genesis technology was the perfect solution. In my hands, though, the Genesis neck had the same rock-hard, cold feeling of a graphite neck. I think this particular one had a gloss finish on the back of the neck too, which felt sticky. As for the tone, it was an active bass, and plugged in to an SWR Baby Blue, I didn't think it sounded any better than my Reverend Rumblefish.

7. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I have played several of the modulus genesis line, and have found only the 5 string (alder body and neck, quilted maple top) to be impressive instrument. In my opinion, the modulus genesis is the best 5 string jazz bass on the market (I am a J bass fool!). I have played most, but not all. I was not impressed with the vintage like or the standard 4 string models.

The 5 string I tried was very smooth and even. Very punchy, almost too punchy with the bridge pickup soloed. There was a little hum from the Bartolini electronics, but I was a foot away facing the amp. I really need this bass. If it were not so expensive (at the time I did not have the cash) I would have bout it on the spot. Great slap tone, lots of cut. Very powerful preamp. A great bass. They are all different, but the one ficer that I tried blew my mind. Michael Tobias must have the midas touch.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Now i think most of you know how pro-Modulus i am, but here, its an exception...

I dont like the Genesis when its got a Chechen or Grenadillo fingerboard. Its too halfway for me, and IMO, kills the Modulus tone, and just doesnt sound good, especially with Jazz Pickups. Its like half super hard materials and half super soft woods, and it just doesnt work. Im NOT a fan. BUT, when its got a maple fingerboard, im all for it. The tone is completely different, and sounds much much better. Much more Modulus tone, Jazz or Soapbars. Id buy a Genesis if it had a Maple fingerboard, but definitely not with the other woods. I might get a Quantum 6 with the Chechen/Grenadillo fingerboard someday, like the one there now, because it is like a Quantum, but a little more mellow/deep sounding, which is cool. But it still sounds like a Modulus, whereas the graphite-wrapped wood neck on the Genesis just doesnt do it very well with the soft fingerboards. And thats pretty consistent...ive played the inventory at bass nw!

Genesis - Good with Maple. Bad otherwise. IMO, of course.

9. biscuit

biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    I really liked the Genesis basses I have played. They don't sound like "Modulus" basses at all. The Genesis tone is very warm and fat, almost lo-fi. The normal Modulus tone is more tight, punchy, clear, high-fi. The Genesis design allows the use of very soft and resonant tonewoods for the neck. These woods would be unusable without the graphite reinforcement.

If you are looking for the Modulus sound with the feel of a wooden neck, then the Genesis line is not for you. However if you are looking for a bass that is more resonant that your maple-necked Fender, the Genesis line could be your ticket.

10. RebSince74

RebSince74

Jul 13, 2005
    I mean, it's thier lowest end product if I'm not mistaken.....I have a Quantum 5 and I wouldn't trade it for anything. That's not to say that it's the end-all-be-all, or that it's for everyone.....but my point is, if you are going to go Modulus, buy the instruments they make, that make them different as a manufacturer.....the Genesis is a cross between a Modulus and mass manufactured typical brand name stuff IMO. The Quantum is a serious custom made instrument.

Mine has Chechin wood top, Alder body with the short lived high end Lane Poor pickups that were briefly used by Modulus (till Lane Poor went out of business for trying to compete in the low end pickup biz, not many people even know they made pickups as good as the ones in my bass).

It's clear, clean tone and the Graphite neck is awesome....some don't like the feel, I love it. It's consistancy of tone is unmatched by wood IMO.

I'd say save a little money and by the Lakeland if you are considering the Genesis.

11. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I own a Genesis 5 with maple fretboard and maple top, and think it is a very easy bass to play, and the tuning-neck is very stable. With Bart soapbars it gives a very warm and woody tone. I run mine through a Thunderfunk-Accugroove setup and think it's one of the best, most comfortable basses I've ever played. I like my Ritter Roya fretboard a bit better (it has the PLEK computer dressing) but the Ritter is very very sensitive to technique; the Genesis is a more forgiving instrument.

12. I've got a genesis 5 and a lakland 4-94, I actually almost bought a 55-94 instead of the genesis but the genesis worked better for me. The neck shape and size are great for me, and the tone is nice and warm and even across the neck. I've played quantum's, I just don't dig them at all. The genesis is not the typical modulus sound, it's a jazz style bass with a unique neck construction. The graphite is super stable, but really that doesn't matter if the shape and tone aren't for you.

13. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    The Genesis isn't even in the same ballpark as the Quantum, in both tone and feel, IMO.

The Genesis doesn't have so much of the hi-fi/sizzle/graphite sound that my two Quantums had, although it does still retain a very small amount, but just right to my ears ;) At the same time all the thick meaty booty tone you could ask for :D The over-all feel of the bass sitting on my lap while playing is super comfortable, very well balanced and light, body shape and size feel real nice (it's not a small body). The neck feels a lot like a Jazz but in it's own way :eyebrow: No dead spots, no buzz, nice low action. No neck-dive (while sitting) ... unlike like the Quantums I had :eek:

Long story short ... this baby aint goin nowhere! :D

Alder body
    Maple top
    Granadillo board
    Bartolini electronics

[​IMG]

14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I would concur. I owned a 1999 Grenadillo board/Cedar bodied Genesis 5 and believe it or not, I sold it because it sounded like mush. Not "warm", not "punchy", just "bad". I got a great price on it, so I didn't lose any money in the end. But I wouldn't have done it again--I think the Quantum has the Modulus magic. If you're looking for a jazz bass tone, I think you can do way better for what they want you to spend.

15. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I got one a couple of years ago.

PROS: Great look, warm sound, decent fundamental.

CONS: It was a bit heavy (ash), it wasn't that versitile in EQ, it's 18v active only, the barts were muddy in most mixes I used the bass in (rock, funk, R&B) the neck was flat to me NOT thick, the string spacing was one mm too tight (picky I know)

I don't reccommend one honestly, but I think with a change out of electronics, it may sound better to my ears.

What I would reccommend in it's current overpriced range is a used Fbass, Lakland, Yamaha, etc...

16. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I've seen what i considered to be very good deals on used Genesis basses, and even some good clearance prices. I've liked every one I have tried, but come to think of it, they all had maple fbs I believe. I thought they had a great slap tone and feel, and overall very different from the quantums I've owned. If I came across one that looked like BassFiddles it would induce serious gas pains! One difference I noticed right away was that the neck relief needed adjustment on one I played. Can't say the same for either of my Qs!

17. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    The ones I've tried would obviously sound better with new strings but they didnt sound pretty cool. Really funky sterile tone I guess. It's an aquired tast. I haven't played on that blew me away.

18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You forgot Ozomatli :D

Modulus makes great basses, no doubt, and Q5s "cut" like nothing else I've heard. I'd expect the genesis basses to be quite good. Its a great concept, unfortunately I've never even seen one in person :(