Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus graphite neck - how stable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Looking for feedback from Modulus Quantum owners.... Just how "stable" is the graphite neck/composite FB on the Q5? In other words, once I get the strings of choice and the action set to my preference, what are the chances I'm going to have to tweak the truss rod at some point? Also, which electronics option (EMG vs Bartolini) will give me the most tonal options and the ability to add some of that warmth to the tone?

(yes, fighting yet another GAS attack. I need help.)

darrelpr

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The neck is stable is extremely stable. I've had anything from very heavy flats (5-110+135) to super light rounds (35-120) just to experiment, and the neck has NEVER moved anywhere, cold or hot or dry or humid. I usually have 45-130s on there, however. The neck never moves. However, should it, you do have the ability to set in over/under bow (forward/back bow) with the "truss rod". It's not a REAL truss rod, but it does have three settings on it, so it can be used, however I've never met anyone who's needed to.

As far as electronics, in my opinion the Bartolinis are the only way to go. I do NOT like the EMGs in Moduli, because they're too cold and sterile when mixed with the graphite, and the treble is too sizzly for the already bright graphite. Just my opinion, and others WILL disagree. The barts are far warmer, and provide more tonal versatility, IMO. I prefer the mid control on the bart preamp much more as well, because it's quite so high middy, IME.

However, the best thing to do is to A/B the Bartolinis vs. the EMGs, because its very much a personal choice, and what works for me may not work for you (or vice versa, in the case of EMGs with other people). Also, it would be a good idea to try different top woods, because in my experience the top woods on Moduli have a larger effect on the overall tone than on most basses. The maple top basses are much brighter than the chatke (chakte?) kok, bubinga, canarywood, and cocobolo (despite the cocobolo being harder than maple) topped versions. Do some research first hand! Good luck! :)

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I haven't had mine for very long (a week), so I can't comment on the neck issue much. I can tell you that it feels solid as a rock, but I can't comment on whether or not it will need adjustments in the future.

As far as the pups, if you want great tonal options, and warmth, go for the Bart pups with the 18v 3 band EQ (BTMB). EMG's are much colder, more sterile sounding when coupled with the composite neck/fretboard, from what I have found. I haven't been able to try one with the granadillo fretboard, but I have heard that it warms the sound up a bit. I found the sound that I was looking for with the composite board and the Barts.

4. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Graphite necks are the way to go if you want stability. Check out http://www.manthing.com to see what kind of tunings this guy does on a graphite neck. I have owned 10 Zon basses and NONE of them have moved. You are more likley to strip a truss rod screw than have a graphite neck move on you. They are also usually sonically tuned so that the resonant frequency of the material is far above any note on the bass, so dead spots are a non-issue.

-pd

5. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Angus/Ryan,

Thanks! This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

I just bought (and sold) a Cirrus 5-stringer in the past few weeks so I'm not looking to make the plunge again for awhile but I'm getting my ducks lined up in the event that I win the Texas lottery.

:)

darrelpr

6. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I'll just chime in here and 3r'd the nomination for the Bart setup and my Q5's neck is like a rock or better yet...graphite..;)

Peace

7. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    This should help ease your mind, I have a Modulus Genesis and I have never had to touch the truss rod, and they only have the graphite spine. I would definately go with Modulus over Zon for the simple reason that Zon has not yet implemented a truss rod. I HAVE seen necks on both Zon and Modulus with a slight bow or backbow, no truss rod no adjustment. Good luck

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I tuned the Q5 at 7 a.m. Sunday morning in the worship center for sound check. Checked, ran a couple of tunes, then cased it up.

Took the bass in case to the room behind the worship center where we store our stuff. Placed against the wall. That wall happens to be mostly glass to the outside and it happened to be about seven degrees outside Sunday morning. IT had to have been 25 degrees along that wall.

So, I grabbed the bass 90 seconds before service started. Ran in the worship center as the bass was fogging up. Plugged in, slapped the A string, and WOW, the bass was in perfect tune. All five strings. And stayed in tune the whole set as it warmed up.

How's that for stable. I am not sure that there is a wood neck on the planet that would have been in tune. If you never bumped the tuners when casing it or playing, I really don't think you would EVER have to tune that bass once the strings stretched out.

I have had mine long enough to play a dozen or so gigs with it and the neck hasn't budged.

FWIW, I have the Bart 2-band rig and I am very happy with the sound. Although I have played the 3 band and liked it even better.

I prefer the Barts over the EMGs for the reasons mentioned above. I will also add that the dynamic control of the bass seems better with the barts.

Chas

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've yet to see a Modulus neck move on it's own.

As far as electronics, I'd take Barts any day.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Thanks. I like it a lot. Even if my new found friends on the "other" side called it a canoe paddle.

Sure is a stable handle on that canoe paddle. :D

Chas

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The only instance I've ever heard of a Modulus neck breaking was a story I was told by a friend who who used to work at Modulus. This one guy left got on a plane in Hawaii and put his bass with the luggage on a flight to Alaska or someplace real cold. Anyway, the change in pressure/temperature, in addition to the string tension made the neck shatter at the headstock. My understanding is that the bass was shipped back and Modulus switched the bass for free. My friend proceeded to get the old neck and made a headless bass for himself. The guy's amazing, I tell you. :)

Then there's the Oteil Burbridge story, where his band's van was driven over his bass' neck and all he did was pop a string back in place and play the bass later that night.

12. 1.Checked mine in with cargo in it's standard case and flew to Canada. The case took a beating but I pulled the bass out at the gig and it was still in tune.
    2.I usually leave this bass out in my truck through summer and winter. Hardly ever goes out of tune.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What I love best is how PD uses a logical fallicy as an example of logic. Ironic, no? ;)

As for the rest of this...I remember 4th grade. This is extremely, extremely lame. Are modulus necks stable? YES. DONE. THIS WASN'T EVER EVEN ABOUT ZON OR TRUSS RODS. Why...god...why?

14. I like Modulus. They are good.

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, and that is what the original thread was about. Nothing to do with Zon's, if I recall. I don't care if you own 10 Zons, 1 of them, or 100. The original thread was asking about Modulus basses, not about Zons and their lack of neck adjustment.

Just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view does not mean we have to turn it into a pointless arguement. This thread has turned totally stupid in a matter of hours.

Good grief.:rolleyes: Your view is the only right one, isn't it? I know we all should play Zons, and maybe someday we can all get smart and own a few. But until then, I will stick with what I want to play, set them up the way I want them, and play them the way I want to play them. And ya know what?? I bet I will be totally happy doing so.

I am done. This stops now, or the thread is closed. Let's get it back on topic, as I go through and delete all the posts that ran it off topic (just so you all know where your posts went).

16. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Everyone,

Thanks MUCH for the feedback.

After reading through >100 posts, I believe it's safe to say that I did get my answer - Barts are the best choice for Q5 pickups.

<running, ducking>

:D

darrelpr

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I once visited this guy's homepage. He's a real piece of work!:rolleyes: Just remember: guns don't kill people...people kill people. It's just that the tools of the trade happen to be guns.

Back to the topic...

I'll say this again: Modulus graphite necks are very stable. I owned one for about 1-1/2 years. I never had any problems with the stability in them, and that was before Modulus had truss rods.

I ended up trading it in for my Spector because I found the sound to be harsh, particularly on the treble end of the spectrum. That bass was equipped with EMGs. I've also played several that had Bartolini's in 'em and found that softened up the harshness quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong: I have EMG's in my Spector (which, with a wooden neck is as stable as my Modulus was) and I love 'em. But, it's a different animal.

If you are looking to pick up a Modulus, make sure you try all kinds of combinations.

18. I'm usually a Bartolini person myself, but I've owned two Quantums (a red four string and a blue/purpleburst five) with EMG's, and I liked both of them very much. The best live tone I ever got was my Q5 with EMG's direct into a Countryman DI. I was surprised by it too, but for some reason, EMG's really seem to work with Moduli for me. All this is to say that it's definitely worth it to take the time to try out as many combos of woods and electronics as you can.
    I had one of the Modulus Genesis VJ's with the combination wood/graphite neck and I actually did have to turn the truss rod slightly to get a neck relief that I was happy with. No biggie--I expect things like that to happen when basses are shipped from across the country.

19. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i just got an Oteil.:cool:

but i might sell it.:eek:

It really does have a killer neck.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    PM me if you decide to sell that Oteil, bro!

Regarding the question: I find Modulus necks to be VERY stable. I take my Quantum 6 to every gig these days, rain or shine and the thing is a rock. Hardly every even have to tune it!