1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus graphite neck question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evito, Mar 3, 2008.

1. evito

evito

Dec 17, 2006
    Antioch, California
    So I am thinking about buying a used modulus q4. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the neck since it doesn't have a truss rod? This is my first "serious" bass and I wouldn't want to run into any issues down the line.

Thanks!!

2. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    There are at least couple of threads comparing Modulus to Moses to Status Graphite and all related issues, as well as truss rod and non-truss rod issues

3. tank4checo

tank4checo

Feb 14, 2008
    new mexico
    all i know is the neck will never change shape so the way it was made it will stay that way for probley 1,000s of years so if you like how it feels and the bow of the neck when you try it it will be hat way forever. the necks on modulus feel very nice in my opinion. also if you plan on going across the country or world the humidity will not change it nor will anything else that you would run into that might change a wood neck. i dont own one but know something about graphite.

4. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I personally prefer to have control over the neck bow.

5. tank4checo

tank4checo

Feb 14, 2008
    new mexico
    so do i i think graphites feel great and to know the neck will never break is awesome but you lose control over it but wood and graohite both have their advantages and disadvatages

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    IIRC there have been some occasional issues reported for Modulus necks but I need to find the threads

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I do recall a Zon owner once mentioning how his neck shifted on him and ruined his bass.

I had a Status Stealth bass that was just one piece of graphite, and didn't have a truss rod. Luckily, it played beautifully! (I just sold it two days ago!)

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    From my personal experience with 5 Status Graphite basses (10+ yrs experience with couple them) never had an issue with the neck or anything else.

9. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    I actually got a Zon on clearance at GC several years ago and found out after the fact that its neck was damaged... probably from poor storage conditions.

So yes, extreme conditions can damage graphite or composite necks... remember, there's still wood on the fingerboard too.

Zon was good to me and split the cost of a new neck. The newer Zon composite necks have truss rods ('06 and after I believe). I'm not sure if Modulus has adopted the same practice.

10. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Actually it has a phenolic board on it. :ninja:
    I did not know it had no trussrod til yesterday, I had assumed it did since it is an 02 model, I never looked for it, assumed it was at the neck heel :rolleyes:. Anyway it is my bass he is considering, and I am glad he is looking into it since it is a big purchase and the smart thing to do.
    This place is invaluable for non pros like my self just for the sheer vlumn of info that can be found here!
    Chris

11. I've played 97Modulus Fleas (pre truss rod)as my main workhorse live basses for years (maybe 1000 gigs) and never had a problem Ever.
    I personally think that a truss rod is wasted on a graphite neck. If the neck is made properly It should never need one.

12. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    I am still embarrassed that I didn't know it wasn't there. I guess that show how good the neck is :D

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Graphite necks like those on Status basses, I heard, would actually need to be weakened to allow a truss rod to have any effect on them.

14. my '00 quantum 4 has a truss rod... for the record. never had a problem. awesome keeper bass.

15. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    What!!??

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    [​IMG]

I bought this bass and so I really couldn't afford to keep the Status. Hence I had to sell it on. Sad to see it go, but it's for the best!

17. Hi there:

I have a Modulus Q5 with truss rod, I only ajusted it once to fit my preference (low action) and that is. The neck is ultra stable, Puerto Rico tropical climate drives my other basses necks crazy, but dosent affect my Modulus Q5 (not even a little bit). :bassist:

18. evito

evito

Dec 17, 2006
    Antioch, California
    Thanks for all the info everyone. It is nice to have a community that is pretty has good knowledge of just about any bass out there.

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    when set up properly a bass with a modulus neck will almost play itself ...

the only downside is the tone is not as warm as a nice rosewood fretboard ...

:bassist:

20. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I have a 91 Modulus Q5 (pre truss rods) and have never had any problems with the neck. It plays beautifully! I also have a Zon (with a truss rod) and have never had to adjust the neck.