Modulus...I have a few Questions (and comments)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Apr 21, 2004.

1. yeah, it's cliche...BUT, I must say....

It IS the sound in my head!

I played a quantum 5 today (the first quantum I've ever tried) and I am in love with that feel and sound. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Punchy, clarity for days, sustain, and then neck/setup felt great! perfect amount of fullness for fingertyle, and a slap tone to die for.

The only thing I would change is making it a 4 stringer.

With that being said, I have a couple questions...

The one I played tonight was a 2003 model, but I am looking at maybe getting a used 4 stringer some time, so...

If I go with an older 4 string model (w/o the neck relief adjustment systen aka "truss rod"), are those necks drastically thinner or different from teh newer models? I've heard that in the past 4 or 5 years (roughly?) that modulus has made their necks a little thicker, and more round. Is this true? My only concern is that if I go with a older 4 banger, the neck will be too thin for me, but I really cant say because I don't know that I've played any basses with real thin necks. I play a active jazz right now, and that seems fine to me, but I've also played warwicks (which are obviously chunky) and didn't mind that much either. On the flip side of that, apparently necks on stingrays are rather flat/thin (comparatively speaking) and I don't mind the feel of those either.

I guess I'm kind of going in circles here, so any comments or help with this would be great. Can anyone vouch for the older modulus necks being thinner? Are there any basses out there that are a bit more common that have similar neck widths? How would that compare to a standard jazz neck?

Thanks alot,
  2. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    If looking for some used ones, there is a used 4 stringer on ebay right now with a walnut top (like Mike G, yes a huge Phish fan :D ). I played a Quantum 6 and the neck was awesome but thin but not uncomfortable thin.
  3. yeah, I saw that one...very tempting. Ironic thing is this. I have the funds, but I haveta leave enough in my account to put in my order for summer tour tickets.

Ah...the choices we are forced to make. :smug:
  4. found out the bass I'm looking at is a '97. Anyone know about teh neck profile on these?