Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, May 15, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone tried any of these? What are your opinions? How do they compare to ther jazz bass clones (in close to the same price range)? Also, has anyone been able to compare the VJ vs the Genesis VJ? Thanks, Marc

2. i have played the genisis last summer. it was used and for sale at a guitar center i would have bought but but it was a few hundred dollars out of my range. but the real treat was the modulus flea bass with the j set-up. that was about a grand out my range, that particular bass was special ordered from a small locally owned shop. i played it unbeknownst to the owner:rolleyes: the guy at the shop was cool and let me plug it into a 8x10 ampeg stack:bassist:

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I once owned a Modulus VJ.

Reasons I liked it:
    1. Looks
    2. Sound
    3. Neck Feel
    4. Punch

Reasons I sold it:
    1. Passive
    2. Older headstock
    3. Heavy

I may own another one soon with active electronics and the newer headstock. Modulus changed the headstock around 00 or 01. Mine was a 99. See pic:
    [​IMG]

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I spent a fair amount of time auditioning the Genesis. Nice bass but I liked the Q5 a lot better. (I should qualify that...Q5 with Barts and Chechen fingerboard - I didn't like the Q5 with EMGs/Phenolic board).
    It seemed to me that the Q5, tonally, could do everything the Genesis could do but the Genesis was a little more limited.
    Nevertheless, the Genesis is a terrific bass.

5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I love mine. Do a search here, I have posted about mine several times. I'd consider buying a second one but I have been so happy with my Modulus that my next purchase will most likely be a Q5. The Vintage Jazz is a GREAT BASS.

6. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I had a modulus VJ in 3 tone sunburst, got it at Mars Music when they were cutting things to the bone. The thing weighed a ton or at least it felt like it. I ended up getting a light weight replacement body from Warmoth in Korina (black limba). Finished it with Tru-Oil gunstock finish. I changed out the Bart's for Bill Lawrence pickups. It has wonderful sustain and growl. Not the deepest sounding but with the graphite neck and BL pu's I didn't expect it to be very dark sounding. See the attached pic.
    Lex

7. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    That's interesting. Mine is pretty light, well compared to my Fender Am.Dlx. P-Bass. I like the finish on yours, Lex P. Did you have to drill the holes in the Warmoth body yourself or did you tell 'em you were adding the Modulus neck and they drilled it?

8. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Fender and Modulus have the exact same hole pattern and neck pocket size. Though the Modulus is a machine screw and the Fender is a wood type screw.

9. I just put in an order for a modulus Genesis VJ with the villex passive system, reaer routed controls, and lined fretless...ala Jaco...except more Jameso...

If you order a modulus, go through Tony Cimperman at planetbass ... raddest guy I know...He is my drug dealer for my modulus addiction.

When I get the thing in 6 months I'll let you all know about it.

10. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I ordered mine from Tony also. Best online purchase I ever made.