Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Hi

I recently obtained a 1998 Modulus VJ bass, when I got it, it had heavy gauge strings on it with a fairly high action, I figured, no problem, new strings, tweak the neck relief and set the string height.
    Fitted new strings and started to drop the string height, strings started buzzing like hell across the neck, checked the modulus website, says truss rod adjustment is at the end of the neck, I assumed under the scratch plate, removed the scratch plate and found nothing! The neck is set fairly flat at the moment and looks to need just a little more bow, but no way of putting it in, any suggestion?

Tony

2. if im not mistaken modulus basses before 1999 dont have any truss adjustment...youll have to play with string height

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Not to hijack the thread, but why would Modulus not use truss rods?

4. The neck is very flat, maybe a trip to a guitar tech for a fret dress etc would sort the problem or at least improve it.
    It does seem to have settled down a bit now, maybe 45-105 strings would sit better on it, I play very light gauge!

T

5. Yeah, I know how to check neck relief, it's very flat!

Tony

6. If there is no relief, you could always slightly shim the neck pocket at the furthest point from the bass. That would provide some tilt to get the action in line. Check with a local hardware store for some stainless steel shim stock. you can get it in varying thicknesses.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The older modulus basses have different materials for the neck and fingerboard, and over time they can shrink and expand at different rates causing warping or backbowing to occur. Doesn't sound like it happens a lot, but it happened to me!

My 1991 Q5 neck backbowed and became unplayable in the lowest 2 frets. I sent to to Jerry at Graphite Guitar Systems for a fretboard levelling and fret job. He said that it should stay put now for another 10 or 15 years. His price was fair (actually it was much less than I expected) and the bass came back playing like butter.

If the neck has zero or very slight relief, then it is probably as-designed and you just need to raise the saddles and/or lighten your touch. If its backbowed, send it to Jerry. His email is graphiteguitars@yahoo.com.

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Jerry knows how to do it. I think he used a milling machine on the fretboard to get it back into shape.

9. There is no back bow in it, I can just feel the string touch the fret when checking it, so the gap is very slight which suggests there is some forward bow, but it ain't a lot!

I suspect I'm in a better position with it having some forward bow as opposed to having back ward bow in the neck!

Tony

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Great! Sounds like the bass is in working order ... thats just how modulus basses are. Raise the saddles a bit and you're golden.

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My Gen 5 has a trussrod which is really handy if you like to experiment with different string gauges / brands. The Zons I've played were a bit too flat for heavy-handed goofs like me. Steinbergers, on the other hand, developed too much relief over time. Moses and the newer Status line all have trussrods.

Riis