Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus necks?? Quantum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Nov 15, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

What is the feel of them like? Radius etc.

Also will a early 90's neck without truss rod get all tweaked out? Dont want to pick up one and then have the neck get all weird on me and not be able to do anything about it

2. Thin thin thin, virtually flat fingerboard, flat neck back. I cannot play one for more than 10 minutes without my thumb cramping up. Given the popularity of thin/flat necks, though, maybe my hands are just freaky. (My thumbs are double-jointed at the base.)

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Probably the most comparible neck I can think of as far as mass/feel to my Q5 would be a Stingray 5.

It is thin compared to a Warwick or G&L, but not ultra thin. A Pedulla bolt or even a Carvin neck feels thinner to me.

Chas

4. You must have a different model year than the ones I've played. I haven't played a Q5 from more recently than about '94, and I hear they changed neck shapes in '98 or so.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well the best proportions to me that I've found was the MTD Kingston 5. I liked its flat finger board, and of course the off-set neck. Stingrays seem chubby to me.

Peter any comparisons to the MTD?

The actual bass Im contemplating is Lary Kaye's.

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I have an older and a newer quantum. The older ones are significantly thinner from front to back. The closest thing to it that I can actively recall is a Pedulla MVP. The newer necks are chunkier - not in the same league as a warwick or anything, but comparatively. I much prefer the thinner, older necks.

Lates

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If the newer Quantums have thicker necks, I'm glad I don't have one of the older ones! My Q5 (an '00) seems quite slim and fast, nearly on par with my Lull P5.

Both the P5 and the Quantum have rather narrow 17mm spacing at the bridge. I prefer the Fender standard 3/4" (19mm), but I can adjust without too much difficulty. Kinda cramped for slap, though.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The current Q6 necks are my favorite for speed and comfort. I have two (selling one right now) but I find them a joy to play.

9. An older Q5 and a K5 have similar-feeling necks, but for the Kingston's asymmetry.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Peter that is what I was looking for!!!

I knew the asymmetry was different along with string spacing. But I was worried about the thickness and profile.

I hate the feel of Warwicks, and Zons, so I was concerned about the "feel" of it. Unfortunately here in the sticks you get to try one Modulus, Zons etc. at a time, and they usually are not treated nice.

Example a Zon Sonus I tried had 2 huge, I mean big cracks in the neck heal of the body. The biggest Ive ever seen in a bass much less a high end bass. The Pedulla was in even worse shape.

Thanx Peter!! Any other opinions??

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My Q5 is a 2000.

Also, the neck is tacky, very similar to a high gloss neck. If you like satin or unfinished, it will really bother you.

I am not a choker/thumb wrapper type player, but for those who are, the neck will be sticky.

Chas

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Never noticed that as much as how they actually felt cold in my hands.

13. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Not to change the subject, but the Mars GOB sale is winding down and the most expensive items remaining in the store seem to be three Modulus basses, all fives, with one Genesis in the bunch. There all in the $2,200 range and the 20% only gets them down to about $1,800. Somebody will get a deal when they increase the discount. I much prefer the Q's neck over the Genesis. Way too wide. If they go 50%, I spring for it.

14. I love my Genisis..I don't mind the wide neck(that is aysemetrical?.BTW) because my hands are large enough to cover it,and I also like the string spacing.I also like the Quantam,that will be my next bass..

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, there was a definite change in Modulus necks at some time between 91 and 95. I own a 95 Q5, have owned 90 Q6 and know a guy who let me play his 91 Q5.
    The neck in the early 90's was very slim, almost like flat on the back and front (not really extreme). It was very comfy and I've never seen one out of whack. HOWEVER... They do have relief and if you use strings that are extreme (like 50-150 or 30-110) it will F with the relief.
    The 95 neck I own has more of a curve to the back, but not adding so much as to make it chunky. I've heard that the profile is similar to a Lakland 5 or Stingray 5. It's more true of the Lakland I think, because the nut width is wider than the Stingray ever so slightly.

Radius is pretty flat, but nowhere in the extremes. It's not as flat as a warwick 5 (11") and not as curved as a Jazz 5 (?). VERY COMFY TO PLAY!!! I love the necks on these basses for so many reasons, but 1 is definitely shape/feel.
    And despite not being totally about the neck specs, I've left the bass in my car when the weather went from 60-30 and the action, feel, tuning was dead on for my gig that night. It was a bit chilly though :D

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The gloss or "sticky" neck does take some getting used to, as I was used to the satin wood feel of my Cirrus and the Warwick FNA that I used to have. But once I got used to it, I now love it. It quickly became my main bass.

Odie-where in MN are you located??

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

In S.E. Minnesota, Rochester, home of the Mayo clinic.

So what are the chances of these necks warping?? The no truss rod thing always makes me wonder.

I will be letting Larry know that I will be taking his Q5 off his hands, but I still worry about not having a truss rod.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would like to know how many non truss rod Modulus'(or Zon's or Status' for that matter) really warped.

I'll bet that it happened once or twice, and morphed into this big internet urban legend about 'If you get a bass with a composite neck make sure that you get one with a truss rod. I have heard hundreds of horror stories about people who bought a Modulus and had their neck warp'.

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

Embellisher- Thats one of things Ive heard too. But it never had a credible(sp?) story to go with it.. It was always a friend of mine had this happen, or I heard this from a music store salesman etc.

If I recall while doing searches on it here at TB was there was one person who bought one used and it tweaked on him.

Urban legend?? Maybe, probably. I hope since I think I just bought Larry's.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Odie,

I think that it will be fine. I think, based on the characteristics of composite necks, that if they were going to tweak, it would happen shortly after manufacturing and stringing them up for the first time. If it is 5 years old and hasn't moved, it never will.