Modulus new satin neck finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Apr 27, 2003.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Has anyone compared Modulus' new satin neck finish with the standard glossy finish?
    - What is the difference?
    - Pros and Cons?

2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have. The matte finish is definitely not sticky, like the gloss finish is. It's also easier to remove unwanted fingerprints.:D

The downside is that it costs more. I think, anyway
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The gloss looks better, but I'd much rather play satin (my '00 is glossy, of course).
  4. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Which one shows fingerprints the most?
  5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I actually talked to Modulus about this. The satin finished necks just go through one more process whereby the surface is condition with light-grade sandpaper (or something like it). They said they've had customers perform the process themselves to a glossy neck to make it satin. That being said, I think I'll stick with glossy.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It's probably nicer to play, but it sure looks ugly. Like a military camoflage version.
  7. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    according to the modulus catalog with Flea on the cover, satin finished body and/or neck is no charge for Quantums, Genesis,Genesis VJs and regular VJs. The option for satin finish neck isn't listed under the section for Flea's.
  8. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I've never had a problem with the gloss finish neck on my Flea. . .
  9. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks for all the inputs! :)

I have decided to go with the glossy finish. I've never tried the satin finish and I've never had a problem with the glossy finish. Therefore, I am sticking with a known quality..THANKS AGAIN!
  10. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    On my new Status Graphite Stealth, I got the matte finish and thier process is actually the opposite. The gloss finish is applied, and the matte finish is applied on top of that. I've got three Status basses and while the gloss finish isn't hard to play, the matte finish blows the other two away...SMOOOOOTH... :D