Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus or Genesis

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Recently I've been checking out a lot of Modulus basses as potential investments, and I've read many excellent reviews. I only have one problem, and that is price. So I was just wondering if the cheaper Modulus Genesis basses are up to par with the regular Quantums. Also, can you get the custom options on a Genesis that you can get on a Quantum?

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    do you mean Quantum or Genesis in your thread title?

as far as the 2 basses in question, they are both fantastic basses but very different. The Genesis has a much warmer, woody sound due to the wood neck and jazz pups. The Quantum is much more hi-fi and clear with a faster attack due to the graphire neck and soapbars.

theyre both top-notch instruments, so it really depends on what sound youre after.

3. I too have considered the Genesis jazz 5 string. I didnt ever think they were of a lower line than the quantums, and have often heard that they play and sound a hell of alot better. I'd like to test one out, but unfortunately no music store I've ever been into (and i've been into alot) has ever carried a Modulus, Alembic, Fodera, Ken Smith, or any high end Warwicks I've wanted to try. I want a boutique bass, but thats alot of money to throw down just trusting I'll like it by the name and look.

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a Genesis. I love it except for the compound radius of the neck. THe feel is fantastic and the board is awesome. The deciding factor for me was price also. Mod's in general are tone monsters. They are a great bass that are pricey, but worth it if you have the money. The Q and the G are night and day though. You really should try to find someone who has them both in stock to try and feel the difference.