1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus or Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by born2play55, Jul 25, 2007.

1. born2play55

born2play55

Jul 15, 2007
    hey guys

I was wondering what you thought about my situation...

Ive been lookin for a new bass, and found that I really like everything about the Music Man Stingray.
    I dont know if I would buy one new or a used one, I found someone askin 900 for a used one because its a rare color

however....i also found a Modulus vj4 bass with EMGs, sunburst with tortoiseshell pickguard askin 950.

i play in a rock band but also like to get some kind of funky sound..what do you think i should get?

2. *ebmm_player*

*ebmm_player*

Jul 15, 2007
    my musicman is amazing
    i use it for funk and slap and some rock and mine was 2nd hand
    i sugest you get one but i have heard good things about modulus

3. What he ^ said!
    I've got a PV Cirrus 4 & 5 and a Fender Jazz...but the SR4 gets all the play because it really is a rock/funk bass! I got mine used but MINT!!

4. born2play55

born2play55

Jul 15, 2007
    i like stingray the most...
    i havent got to play the specific model of modulus yet, only the model that is similar to the music man

it seemed to me that 900 was too much for a stingray used...bcuz i would basically be paying for the paint, and 950 for a modulus seems like such a great deal.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Very different bass. I've had both. The VJ could be a little lifeless, and bright, but it is a Jazz bass after all, which is pretty versatile for all styles of music.

StingRays in the other hand have very particular sound, which is considered very good by many, but not as versatile as a Jazz bass. Although as mentioned, SRs excel at rock and funk.

Can you play both basses before buying? Forget about whether the Modulus is better deal or not, make sure you get the bass that feels and sounds better.

6. born2play55

born2play55

Jul 15, 2007
    good point....

i particularly play rock and funk, sometimes mixed which leans me towards the stingray...
    i also have already played the stingray and love it, so unless the modulus blows me away...

7. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Go with the Musicman!!! I have owned both, and found that I fell out of love with the Modulus, because while they are great basses, they have a sustain and attack to them that is a little unnatural. Too much sustain, a cold clear sterile sounding midrange. The neck doesn't flex with your playing, so the attack is hard and bright, but not punchy in the way that the SR will be. If you are planning on a world tour that encompasses the desert and the tropics and are really worried about neck warpage, then maybe the Modulus is the best. If you playing your local clubs like the rest of us, then the SR will go down much better (IMHO) :cool: