Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus or Zon Tuning Stability

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I know graphite necked basses are reputed not to need much in the way of seasonal trussrod adjustments like wood necks do. But is the tuning more stable as well, or do they go out of tune between sets, or say between the sound check and the 1st set like many wood necked basses I have gigged with do?

2. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Other than my old Fenders, and my Sukop, most of my basses are sharp after a break. When we start the next set, I re-tune. After a couple of songs, they go flat as they warm up and I have to re-tune at least 1 or 2 strings, it gets old. And then there's always the occasional mid-set bass swap. Too bad those Fenders aren't 5 strings, or I'd just play them all the time ;)

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    My Zon is rock-solid at staying in tune during gigs. Heck, one July I traveled from Orlando (95F, 90% humidity) to San Francisco (50F, 25% humidity - y'know the old joke: The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco! :D), took my bass out of the flight case at the hotel and it was still perfectly in tune.

Between sets is nothing compared to that.

;)

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    :bawl: i want a graphit neck bass :bawl:

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...sheesh, ya big crybaby....

:p

...it's spelled "graphite"!

;)

And don't let Joe Zon catch ya callin' 'em that, they're composite necked, if they were all graphite, they wouldn't be very stable. It is a combination of graphite suspended in a resin matrix.

6. [Beavis on]Hehhehheh me too[Beavis off]

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    dayum cant a guy forget an "e"?

ok well i want a ... resin....matrix....thing.... graphite necked bass.

8. I own a Modulus Q5, and once the strings have stretched in, it seldom goes out of tune. Certainly not during the same gig. The Composite neck is like a thousand times stiffer than it needs to be. When tuning a new set of strings I can start with the b and go all the way to the g and then go back to the b and it is still in tune. My old wood necked bass I had to run through all five strings usually 3 times.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have both, a Modulus and a Zon.......almost never need tuning! I also have a Fender American Deluxe
    JazzV that also hardly needs tuning......go figure;)

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I actually have few if any problems with tuning stability on any of my basses, whether the neck is <s>graphite</s> composite or wood. But my Modulus is definitely the most stable... only goes out if I bump a key.

As for relief adjustment: I've never had to do so on my Q5.

11. I've owned a couple of Zons and Modulus basses over the years. While they do stay in tune, I didn't find I adjusted them any less than my Sadowskys or Fodera. I think about any well-designed instrument will stay in tune.

Jeff

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree!:bassist:

13. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Well, I think my Fbass, Elrick, MTD 535, Lakland, Pedulla, and Roscoe are well designed basses, but they do need more tuning than the Fenders ('66 & '75) and Sukop.

I wonder if the Modulus Genesis is as stable as the Q or Zons?

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    All of my basses stay in tune, to an almost eerie degree. I check, just for grins... no problem.

15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i deliberately turn my tuning machines at random just for the joy of retuning.

sometimes i forget, and record anyway...as many of you know by now.

:p

f

16. f - I happen to like you altered tunings and note... choices!

:D

17. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    The only reason that my Zon ever goes out of tune is that I am constantly switching between standard and cello tunings and my ears aren't yet good enough to get it back into tune exactly. Even so I only have to retune about once every two weeks.

18. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    As a test, I once left my Mod in my trunk in the winter for about 4 days straight, then whipped it out into a 70 degree room. It was in tune. Need I say more?

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you didn't get finish checks you were very lucky.

20. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Do you do that without changing string gauge?

Alex