Modulus Oteil Burbridge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SCT1422, Mar 26, 2001.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Anybody have any experience with one of these.. I've previously owned a Modulus Quantum 6 w/EMGs and the phenolic board.. I loved the bass, but it sounded too sterile and brittle at times for live playing... i'm looking for more warmth and growl... How are the lane poors with these basses....
  2. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Steve Lawson, professional solo bassist and contributor to Bassist magazine owns one of these basses and loves it. He has his own forum here on talkbass. He is a great guy and a phenomenal player, and would probably be happy to talk about his instrument.

I however, have a Modulus Quantum 6 on order, which should arrive sometime relatively soon, and will try to answer your questions. I too love love the structural benefits of graphite, but dislike the "sterile" sound tendencies. I solved this problem by opting for a bass with the granadillo fingerboard (similar to rosewood) and the bartolini pickups and 3 band electronics. I think that the combinaiton of the wood fingerboard and the bart pickups really makes for a wonderful "warm" bass sound, while still retaining the punch, stability, and evenness of graphite. I can't see the semi-hollow construcion having much of an effect on this, save maybe making the bass even "warmer". Try them out. See what you like.
  3. you might wanna try a Genisis model,truly the best of both worlds.I was so impressed,I bought one(5-string)great sounding "b"string,nice woody tone..just awsome!!
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've seen these basses in London in the Bass Centre and they look amazing and I think Steve Lawson gets a good tone out of them - but personally I don't like the tone for the very reasons described. Too brittle, artificial-sounding - I prefer more wood and mostly maple. But it is a personal preference thing.

I have the "Bass Day" video with Oteil Burbridge doing his solo spot and while I am intrigued by his style and "charm" - I really hate the actual tone or sound he gets from the signature bass on this video. It's really brittle and slightly distorted and to me is the exact opposite of the tone I like. But then, he must like that sound and chose the material etc for that purpose - so who am I to criticise?

But this might be a way to judge whether the sound is for you - get a copy of the video - borrow or buy - and hear it in a live situation, without any studio "doctoring", and quite often completely on its own - as played by its endorsee and see whether you like it.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ive played a fretless version with Barts that was simply stunning. That is THE best fretless Modulus makes, and one of my favorites made. I haven't tried the fretted yet, though ive seen and had the chance. The fretless models are pretty damn good though.
  6. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    IM with Angus on this one.The barts are really great pickups.EMGs that I have tried seem to have to much mid and treble for my liking.They are probably good for slap.