Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Owners -- Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geo?, Sep 16, 2000.

1. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    :confused:
    Okay, I'm going to swallow my ego on this one.

I recently purchsed a Quantum 5 that I really love for the playability, but the tone controls have pretty much thrown me. It's got the passive Bartonlini pick-ups and a "3 band eq". The bass has 4 knobs, the first (moving from left to right if you were holding the bass) is obviously volume, the second and third are mid-range (I think) with a middle click, the fourth is a bi-level knob with the top being treble and the bottom being bass (I'm pretty sure). The bass didn't come with any documentation explaining the electronics and while I can dial a good sound up without knowing (it is Modulus after all), I know I could do better with a real understanding of each function of the onboard EQ. If you folks need any additional information, just let me know.

"Help me TalkBass, you're my only hope." ;)

-geo?

2. Well, I'm not a Modulus owner (I'd sure like to be!), but I think going from left to right, you have, from left to right, master volume, blend, mid, and treble/bass. I'm pretty sure that second knob from the left is blend if it's got a center detent. One way to tell if the blend knob is the blend would be to take something magnetic and tap the pickup lightly with it. If it's blended all the way to the bridge and you tap the bridge pickup, then you should be able to hear it through the amp. Etc...have fun.
    funkycarnivore

3. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Funky --

It's all good, no need to be an owner to help an idiot. ;)

I figured that the 2nd knob was pick-up balance, but both the 2nd and 3rd have a detent (I knew there was a term for that) and they both seem to have a noticeable effect on the volume -and- tone.

Thanks for the input tho'...I always use to tap the pick-ups with a coin to check, but I bet you wouldn't have to hit it nearly as hard if you used something magnetic. :D

-geo?

4. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    ::Wipes mud from face::

Okay, I swear to you I've been to that site 20 times in the last week and I never noticed the link. Thank you <u>so</u> much.

-geo?

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I think MegaAngus might know alittle something bout modulus basses. He has some NICE ones. thats all

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, i saw the thread, but didnt respond because i was lazy, and the link had been given.

Mine, with Bartolinis (And Geo, the pre-amp is active, so its not an all passive bass), has, from left to right (when you are playing it), goes: Volume, Pickup Selector/Blend, Mid, Treble/Bass, with Bass on bottom. All of the knobs, if working correctly, will have a center detent, except for the volume, obviously. So there you go.

Whats yours look like Geo? Tell us more!

Im actually considering adding a Quantum 6 to my collection...