Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Owners! What do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Ruiz, May 11, 2001.

1. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I just got my new Modulus Quantum 6 about 2 weeks ago and so far I love it! It plays like a dream and sounds great! I tune down a whole step on all strings and the low A string is still audible. The only thing I need to work on is getting it to be as loud on the higher register strings as it is on the lower ones. I tried a compressor, but the 18V bass was too much for it and with it on it actually sounded worse... Overall I am VERY happy with my new baby. Although I DO have to sell my other 2 basses now :( (an EB Stingray 5, and a Carvin LB75)

I was wondering who else out there owns Modulus basses and what you think of them?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've owned many of them...nice basses. You might try adjusting the pickup height so that the bass side is a bit higher than the treble side to balance out the response. I've found Modulus to be some of the most consistent basses in terms of response, so I don't imagine your problem is real common. One other tip: if you have EMGs, rip them out ASAP and install Bartolini stuff. In times past, I'd have recommended installing Lane Poor stuff, but he's out of business at them moment. I know this thought probably horrifies you, but Hey, you asked for the advice...

3. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I personally like the EMG's better and I haven't encountered the volume problem...I'd also say adjust the pickup, I would not change the EMG's if you like their sound.

4. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I have the barts and they sound great, It's just that my C (A#) string is a bit thin which is very common with 6'ers. I am getting it to sound a bit better with pup adjustment and tone controls. I am just impatient. I've only had it for a few days... Thanks for the advice!

5. Debiolator

Debiolator

Aug 20, 2000
    Niceville, Fl
    I own a Quantum 5 bass with the barts installed and I loved it, haven't had a problem since the day I bought it, althought I did try one with the EMGs before I bought it, and overall I just like the Barts better, just seemed to have a fuller, thicker tone than the EMGs. I don't have much experience with the six strings, and that may have made a difference. Either way, Barts or EMGs, you have a great, reliable bass IMO.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I don't really see a reason to put Bartolinis in Modulus... i mean Modulus itself is a COLD COLD sounding bass... I just don't see a reason for putting a warm pickup on a cold bass u know? I think the Modulus should be better off with EMGs since it has that colder sound to it.. which i definately don't enjoy.. (SORRY PHOG! You know I still love ya! LOL :D) but yeah... I think that the Modulus was made for more cold sounding bass... which might be better off iwth the EMGs more than Bartolinis....

thats just IMHO

DM :D

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Its a "cold cold" bass because of the EMGs.

I agree, get Barts immediately! Basslines would work too, if you like those. Its a must, though.

For your C string, id suggest maybe uping your guages by .005 or .010. I used a .035 C on my six, because I just prefer a heavier top, which helps the balance some. But especially since you tune down, i'd check out some heavier guages.

8. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I respectfully and totally disagree with you on this, Angus, EMG's are not "cold" sounding pickups. I had them in a Spector and it was a warm sounding bass. The graphite makes it cold sounding. I had a Zon with a Seymour Duncan and Bart electronics that was also very cold, actually I like to refer to it as sterile or precise, not really cold...

9. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I HAVE the Bartolini's and they are great. It isn't "cold" sounding to me. I would describe my sound as precise, clear and punchy, certainly with a good tone (IMO) . I am going to try a heavier guage string. I think that, combined with what I have already done will eradicate the problem all together. I played the mod's with both the Bart's and the EMG's and I chose the Bart's because they sounded warmer to me, a fuller tone. The EMG's sounded good too, but were a bit too bright for my taste. I feel like the Bart's warmth helps even out the graphite neck's brightness for a great tone! I still haven't changed strings from the Modulus strings that came with the bass, so I am going to try some LaBella Hard Rockin Steels in about a week. I think that will also make a difference.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And I respectfully disagree with both of you gentlemen.

phogchris, my Sonus Custom fretless 5 is the warmest sounding fretless I have ever played. It has bart soapbars and preamp and a piezo bridge.

I think that the coldness or sterility is a combination of the EMGs and the composite neck. EMGs can sound fairly warm in an all wood bass, and a composite neck bass(or a Zon at least, still haven't found a Modulus that sounds warm to my ears) can sound very warm with the right pickups and electronics.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I owned a Quantum for about 1-1/2 years. It had EMG's. You can't tell me EMG's are cold sounding pickups. I now have them in my Spector and think they are anything BUT cold! But, my Modulus sure seemed cold!

I had the same problem: I always liked my Modulus until I heard some live recordings of my band when I was playing that particular bass. What I found was the attack of the notes were fairly consistent from string to string, the E and A strings rang out clearly, but the D and G strings were somehow missing all of the fundamental. Once I'd hear the attack, it was as if the neck had one giant deadspot covering the entire fretboard on the D and G string side. In fact, with the amount of attack present in my Modulus, it sounded as if I were hitting chimes rather than plucking notes:(

Then I had it professionally set up. The set up changed nothing! The frets were all level. The pickups were set fine. Played solo, you couldn't tell the difference in output from string to string with just the naked-ear. But, the problem of no fundamental kept coming back in our recordings.

I personally think it's a problem with Modulus, not the pickups, not the player, not the setup, or anything else...;)

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes, EMGs with Modulus graphite necks are what make it cold...not just the EMGs. I should've qualified it, but I've said it over and over in other threads, so I just didn't this time. So yes, the combo is what makes it super cold.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike EMGs (I wouldn't get anything but on a Spector!), I just don't like them on this bass.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i owned a quantum 6 for a while- the first one had bartolinis- i didn't like the slap sound, too thin, so i tried one with the emg's ( modulus was VERY accomodating, i commend Jane McNall for her inveluablr help and endless patience) , on the quantum 6 i liked the emg's a little better-the bass had a punchy tone, but it had very little warmth, i used for touring south america, where the humidity is rampant and changes from region to region, so it was great for that, but then i got my first mtd, and it was all over... no more quantum 6- but i haveto say, it was a cool bass- for certain things, it KILLED!

14. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I had a Quantum TBX-6 for about seven years.. It had the phenolic fingerboard and EMG's... When gigging out with it, I felt sometimes it was sterile and cold sounding, but it was great for cutting through a 6 piece band... It sounded great for recording, I had a few other bass players who used it to record with and loved it.... I also had the chance to try a Modulus TBX-5 with Barts and it was definitely warmer and punchier sounding than mine... Best of luck.... Steve.....

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll concede that the pickups on a bass (in this case the Barts vs EMG) can make all the difference in the world. Perhaps enough to warm up the sound, as some of you say, anyway.

But, in thinking about it, I think the Modulus still had a characteristic coldness to it when played unplugged. And, while you can always change electronics, strings, amplification systems and settings, you can't really change the unplugged sound of an instrument. And, don't we generally tend to preach always play an instrument unplugged first to get an idea of an instrument's tone and playability?

I guess I'm a bit of a purist in that sense. It seems to me that an instrument should sound good unplugged as well as amp'ed, restrung, re-"electonic-ized", etc.

And, don't get me wrong: I think that the Modulus I owned had some wonderful qualities! The neck was incredibly stable, especially important for me, since I live in Chicago, where the humidity and temperature fluxuates as much as it does! And, there are zero dead spots on the neck, every bit as good (or better:eek: than my Spector)! Furthermore, I can't ever say (nor have I heard anyone else say) that the sound is not crystal clear!

But the fact remains that, with my ear, the harmonic overones of the Modulus were NOT natural sounding and the fundamental of thinner strings didn't have the same characteristic growl of the thicker strings.

I wish (or hope) to come across an instrument that has a neck more stable than my Spector, given the dynamic environment found in Chicago. But, I just don't think Modulus is the answer. Maybe Status is??? Maybe Zon is (though I don't care for them)??? Maybe I'll just have to deal with warping necks in order to get a better tone. We'll see...