Modulus players, help me out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Oct 18, 2000.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    After playing my Warwick Thumb Bolt-on for nearly a year, and don't get me wrong, I love it. I think I'm gonna take the leap to a Mod. Quantum 6. The 3k + price tag is a bit out of my leage though, so I'm looking in the used market.
    What I'm wondering is, what is a fair starting price for the
    Q-6 used, without a whole lot of frills.(I'm not interested in the "sweetspot" model)
    Also, what has your experience with this bass been like?
    What features come standard? Any other advise on modulus.
    Anyone interested in a Warwick? (kidding)
    Thanx, jake
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Based upon my extensive experience surveying ebay auctions :), a used Modulus Q6 w/EMGs in excellent to VG condition can be had for around $1500. In fact, there are several on ebay right now with reserves lower than that. Some things to keep in mind. First, the string spacing on the 6 is fairly narrow; this might be an impediment if you do a lot of vigorous slapping. Also, the graphite neck might feel a little sticky if you're used to the satin-finished wooden neck of Warwicks. On the plus side, I think they're physically well balanced and uniformly well made.
  3. Eric M

Eric M

Aug 26, 2000
    I sold my Quantum 6 a few months ago, for $1300 w/ case.
    1995 model, good condition, trans blue over flame maple top, black hardware, Bartolinis, mid circuit.

I had it for 3 or so years. The non-wood backing on the neck finally took its toll on me. Sticky when your hands sweat. To this day, the best neck feel I ever had was on my pre-Gibson Tobias 5 Classic. I wish I still had that bass.

BTW: A stingray 5 is now my main bass - fit and finish nowhere near the modulus or tobias, but the oh the sound . . . .
  4. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry, can't help you on prices, but... There is a big difference between base EMG/2 bnd eq & the optional Bart or Lane Poor/ 3bnd elect. I ordered w/ the granadillo (wood) fingerboard and don't mind the feel of the composite neck. I have seen a few 5&6 string Quantums with the "wide" (neck/spacing) option. Finally, don't count out the "Sweet-Spot". I believe there is some "phase-cancellation when you place two pickups on the same bass, as well as added noise when you try to "blend/mix" p/u's instead of a/b. (I know I'll hear some schznit over this, JMHO) Before you rule out the "S/S", try one, right hand position makes a HUGE, HUGE difference in tone/ responce ect. This is mainly why I bought the "S/S". Also with the S/S you will save $1-300 wich in myb case allowed me to upgrade to premium electronics. (Also try to a/b the 2&3 bnd eq, again 2 different animals. Now a days I only need to use my hands and on-board eq for 3 or 4 distinct sounds & leave the pre-amp totally flat.)

Good-luck, What-ever you do, try as many before you buy!