Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus pre & pup ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by inazone, May 4, 2005.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Has anyone tried different pups in their Q5? Anything beside the standard bart and EMG? What about a different preamp, how does it sound?
    Thanks.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My Q5 has Lane Poor soapbars instead of EMGs. This is Mike Childree's old bass and he revamped the electronics. I've played Q5s with EMGs and Barts, and I prefer the lanes overall with Barts in second place. The Lanes have a very natural and even sound with rich mids.

The preamp is a bit different too ... its lane's 2x1 preamp, which is a dual strait gain preamp (no EQ) that buffers the pickups, and those are run into dual volume/tone passive controls ... so you can actually adjust the tone of each pickup seperately and then blend them. This can yield some cool tones, especially both pickups full on, neck tone all the way off, bridge tone all the way up. Great bridge pickup punch with both pickups fullness. Very unique.

I've been wishing the bass had a more normal preamp, so I'm going to swap out the electronics for an Aguilar OPB-1 and see how I like it.

Guess what? After all this, it still sounds like a Q5 ;)

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Thats kind of what Im asking, if its going to make much of a difference and would it be worth it to do a change.

I have two Q5s. One with bart pup and obp-1 pre and the other with emgs, both pup and pre. They sound a bit different but both sound like a Q5.

The Q5 with the emg's just died so I need a new preamp. I thought about trying something new just for the heck of it.

btw, sounds like you have a cool set up. :bassist:

4. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I also have to agree with Pickles here - I've owned 5 Quantums with varying pickup/electronic configs, and although there were differences in sound, those differences were most noticable in my bedroom. In a band situation, there was no mistaking any one of them for anything but a Quantum. Now to add the the obligatory, "your ears aren't my ears, so YMMV."

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It makes a difference for sure, this Q5 of mine doesn't sound quite like any other I've played, but its not like you won't recognise the tone. I will say that the "electronic" sound of the EMGs kind of bothers me in a Q5 (though not in other basses), so I like the lanes quite a bit better when compared to EMGs. Barts sound the tinyest bit veiled in the highs but are closer to the lanes.

If you like the bass already, a little fine tuning can be a good thing ... I can't wait to hear this bass with the 18v opb-1!

6. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I have a pair of Lane Poor soapbars in the 91 Modulus Q5 that I recently bought from Dave Pickles. I have owned two Q5s in the past with EMGs and I found them both to be a bit too "hi-fi" for my taste. These Lane Poors are much warmer and they don't require much EQ if any. I recently installed an Aguilar OBP-3 in this bass and removed the old Lane Poor preamp. This new combination sounds even better!

7. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I've been through a few pre's in my 92' Q5. Originally had Bart soaps and electronics which sounded a little too warm for my taste, then I had a demeter pre installed which didn't change anything too noticeable. After a while I sent it to Sadowsky and had their onboard installed w/vtc, this made a big improvement to me and made it more alive to my ears. I've recently picked up a pair of sadowsky soaps and they are going to replace the barts in the next few months. It will be my modulowksy :D
    I also have a Q6 with emgs and emg pre, I dig the sound from that one and don't plan on changing it.