Modulus Problems?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Jun 29, 2002.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Has anyone who owns a Modulus ever had problems with the necks shifting while playing live on a hot day?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have never had any problems at all. In fact, if I didn't bump the tuners taking it in and out of th e case, I wouldn't even have to tune it.

3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    This has happened to me twice now. On two sepperate occasions, on two different basses. When the bass neck gets warm or hot, the neck starts to give and the strings all but fall onto the fingerboard! Strange I have never had any problems like this. I used a Modulus bass in NY and in Bosnia and had no probs at all in cold weather. It is a very weird experience. I don't get it. The first time it was so bad that I had to use another bass.
  4. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    Same here, no problems on 10 Zons I have owned.

Caveat Emptor: This is a frequent negative selling technique against graphite necked basses..."Well, what if they "shift?"

1) Concerning Zon, if a neck actually DOES shift, it will be replaced most likely for N/C.

2) Chances of this actually happening are less than say, stripping a truss rod inside a wood necked bass.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wouldn't be much of a help, though, if it happened during a gig. Usually takes a while to completely replace a neck.

However, I've never seen my Modulus shift, ever.
  6. 3 Zons and one Modulus - never a problem... and Dallas can get a bit on the warm side, some say!

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Never a bit of problems with mine either. None at all.
  8. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Hmmmmm. Guess I am just lucky. LOL

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

I've had my Q6 sweetspot for many years and I've never had any problems. My band mates love the sound!
  10. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Had no probs with the sound or playing the bass at all....just these two occasions. Once the basses were removed from the heat and direct sunlight, the problem quickly fixed itself. Mabe it was the heat off the neck making the strings go limp(expand). Both tomes the neck was very hot to the touch....

I dunno.
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    maybe going from cold to extreme heat really fast does it... but for the neck to shift.. thats wierd.. Hope you can figure out what is happining
  12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    The early Modulii had no truss rod in the neck and were susceptible to warping, contrary to the marketing hype. Didn't happen often, but it did happen to some people. I've personally had 3 pre-truss Modulus basses and never had issues. There was a thread recently, though, either here or at Dudepit, that discussed the fact that direct sunlight and heat would cause the stiffness of the neck to be relaxed.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've played very hot gigs (including one outdoors in sunlight) with Moduli and have had absolutely no problems.
  14. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I owned a pre truss rod Modulus a while ago and I did'nt have a shifting problem due to sunlight or heat but I did notice than it took a while for the neck to get settled after changing strings. The strings would be laying on the fingerboard even with my bridge set up for moderatley high action.
    I don't know if this relates to this thread but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
  15. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    I had this happen to me once, but with a Fodera NYC 5 with Moses Graphite neck. Set up for outside gig, did sound check. We had about an hour or so before we had to play. The bass was in direct sunlight, but I thought "Who cares, it's graphite."
    When we came back to play the neck was extremely back-bowed and the strings were resting on the fingerboard. It corrected itself by the next day, but that was a rough gig.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I had the same experience with my Zon. Played a gig outdoors in July(107 that day!) with my Pedulla and my Zon.

After the first set, I switched to the Zon and noticed that the B string was very flabby(and the E, too) and that the action seemed higher than normal. Got out the tuner, corrected the tuning, which was a little off, but the strings were still very floppy. Played it anyway, and the B sounded awful!

I was afraid that the neck was ruined, but after taking it home and letting it sit overnight, it was back to normal.

I had left the bass in the back of my minivan in June and July before, and never had this problem. I think that it was the sunlight more than the heat. We were under a tree, but there was still a lot of sun coming through. I got sunburned on the top of my head that day, through a baseball cap.

On the off chance that it was the heat, the bass does not stay in the van anymore, for longer than 5 minutes. And I don't use it at outdoor gigs anymore, either.
  17. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Buddy, that's HOT! :D
  18. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a Peavey B-Quad 4 with a Modulus neck - it's on its second neck. This one developed the same problem as the first - an uncorrectable backbow. Eventually one day I'll make a wooden neck to replace it.