Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q 5 in Local Shop--Diamond in the Rough??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Jan 11, 2003.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    A Modulus Quantum 5 is available for $850 at a local store. It's a 96 model with a 2Tek Bridge. It has EMGs and a non-adjustable neck. The top is spalted maple, so it looks pretty cool. The problem is it's in good shape at best. The 2Tek bridge has lost a lot of its paint and it the neck bolts show some signs of exposure. There is a small hairline crack between the two pickups. The final detail. Close your eyes and your never know this stuff. Same punchy sizzleling sound you'd expect from a 2002. My questions: is the price low enough to ignore the cosmetics? and is the non-adjustable neck a big minus? and is $850 a good deal despite these factors?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The neck isn't an issue IMO.

Unless the bass is totally dogged, that is an awesome deal for a Q5. Even though they are a tad depressed in the market right now, They still drop in the 1300-1400 range regularly.

You could replace the bridge with a really nive one about $100 and still have a great deal.

Buy it. That is the best price I have ever seen on a Q5.

Chas

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I wouldn't worry about the neck. If you like it the way it is, you will continue to like it. It ain't gonna move on ya.;)

For that kind of money, I would snag it. As to replacing the bridge: Isn't there extensive routing done with the installation of a 2-Tek bridge? Replacement might not be so easy, but of course I could be mistaken.

I have never seen a Q 5 that cheap, either. As long as everything appears to be in working order, I would say you can't really go wrong. IMHO, of course.:)

4. Grab it. Or better yet, give us the contact info of the shop where you saw it so that we can check it out for you...

;)

Mike

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    JR's old bass is the look, but a five with twin EMGs and the bridge. I have been aiming to get a fretless "something," but I could use the Modulus sound as well.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Played it again. I don't think the cosmetics are that bad, but a very heavy bass with the 2Tek. Price tag is now $800. Sound is crisp and muscular. Every note rings out, and who knows how old the strings are.

7. Would that be at Green Shift, perhaps, or Paragon, or that little place across from USF? My memory of music stores in Tampa is a little fuzzy.

Thinking "Now how do I track that sucker down without getting caught?" ;)

Mike

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Green Shift on consignment. If it's a no go for me, I'll let you know.;)

Now don't tell me all's fair in love and war!
    :D

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    My Q5's neck is the non-adjustable kind, but it has never needed an adjustment.

11. Just kidding! I just sprung for a Rickenbacker that I found on Ebay, so I'm not really in any shape to looking at a Modulus just at the moment, no matter how great a deal.

Let us know how it works out.

Mike

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    This is what it looks like, because I think JR deleted his post that I referred to. The finish is for the most part mint. The bridge is what is weathered.

[​IMG]

13. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I want it if you don't!