modulus Q questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Could someone describe the differances between the bart/aguilar setup to the EMG setup? What are the tonal differances? which would be better for pick style and slap?

Thanks, Nate

oh yea, just out of curiousity what is the differance between the quantum series and the flea bass? Thanks
  2. in particular the Q5...
  3. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Using adjectives to describe tonal variations is dicey at best because what "sterile" might mean to me...may mean something else to others but I'll give it a go.

The differences between those pups as I hear it, is the EMGs have more bite, or edgy sound while the barts seem warmer, and rounder which takes the edge off of the neutral sounding neck. I've heard some describe the EMGs as sterile sounding on a graphite neck while the barts were warmer and have more "depth".

4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Dunno about the Aguilar pre but I use a Q6 with Barts (granadillo board) quite regularly. Compared to the EMG setup, it's warmer without perhaps the upper register detail of the EMG's and snap and sustain of the composite board. I doubt you could go wrong with either. I'm looking at adding a Q6 with EMG's so I can have both!

The Flea bass is a completely different design, more of a super MusicMan sort of thing.
  5. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have an older Q5 with EMGs and I don't find them brittle sounding at all. It is a bit more modern sounding than the Barts, but I'm personally a bit tired of the Bartolini sound. They always at this warm dark thing that is not always desirable.
    They color the sound way more than the EMGs do.
    The EMGs sound slightly scooped to my ears vs the Barts.
  6. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've got a Q5 SS with a bart pickup and ntbt preamp, and a Q5 with emg's and an obp-1 preamp. The 2-band bart pre compared to the 2-band emg pre: the bart definitely has a rounder sound with more midrange, while the emg was a bit cleaner, with more of a scooped sound. But, after putting the aguilar in w/ the emg's, the aguilar pre seems to have a stronger mid-range, but not as warm as the barts. To me, it seems to take the best of the emg and the bart pre's and combine them into one. Which do I prefer? Depends on what day you ask me. Unfortunately, I don't have an aggie pre with bart pickups, so I can't comment on that :( I hope this helps.

7. I have decided i want the emg p/u's but i cant decide on whether to get a emg preamp or an aguilar. i know modulus doesnt do that combo so i would have to do it myself. any thoughts on this? the sound i am going for?...think mike gordon/phil lesh. Thanks
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I may be mistaken but I believe Phil uses an EMG preamp with his EMG pups. Good goal to go for that sound. Nobody beats Phil for clarity.