1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus Q4 w/ Sadowsky Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ezrs, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ezrs

ezrs

Sep 24, 2008
    I spoke to Kevin Drexler of Sadowsky today about swapping my Aguilar Preamp out of my Modulus Q4 for a Sadowsky Pre. He thought it was a good start towards a more sadowsky-like tone, maybe a tad clearer and most definitely warmer. He also told me that the folks of Sadowsky beleive that the deciding factor on the tone of a bass lies in the fingerboard.

Here are the specs of my bass right now:
    Modulus Q4
    Alder Body
    Chechen Top
    Chechen Fingerboard
    Modulus Quantum graphite neck
    Bartolini Pickups
    Aguilar Preamp with active Bass, Mid, Treble

I know this is a bit of an odd pairing, but after playing this beautiful bass for so long and hearing such great things about the Sadowsky Pre, I am wondering what you folks predict it will sound like!
    Any thoughts?

2. You should just sell me your Q4 and buy a Sadowsky bass. :bag:

3. jphilauren

jphilauren

Nov 8, 2007
    Try the external Sadowsky preamp instead of swamping internal components. Should work the same, I have a Quantum 5 and found the Barts very compressed

4. ezrs

ezrs

Sep 24, 2008
    I am hesitant to get the Sadowsky DI because it is designed for passive basses, I have heard that active basses get a great deal of hiss through the DI.

5. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I use my Modulus Quantum 5 through a Sadowsky Preamp/DI and I don't get any hiss. I loved it when I had my 08 AmSt Jazz V, but even with the Modulus is turns a rather clean/wide/hifi sound into a more ballsy tone, which I truly appreciate.

6. jphilauren

jphilauren

Nov 8, 2007
    There is a trim pot on the preamp board in the Modulus, you can turn down the output if that becomes an issue with the Sadowsky, the Sadowsky also has a volume control. You will get hiss from any preamp if the treble is maxed

7. ezrs

ezrs

Sep 24, 2008
    i suppose i am also curious to hear if i can get any sort of vintage vibe out of the bass with the passive bypass.
    i may also get carey nordstrand to wind me some dual coils or maybe some fat stacks.

am i just going against the entire essence of a modulus? is this even worth it, or should i just go get myself a jazz bass and a sadowsky pre?