1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus Q5 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Apr 21, 2002.

1. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have access to a used Modulus Q5 fretless with EMG's and 2 band EQ,gold hardware and hard case.The guy wants $1350.There aren't a whole lot of high end fretless 5's around here,so I was wondering if anyone would care to venture a comment who has had a chance to play both on a similar Modulus and some other brands in that strata of quality/price.I like Yamaha TRB's for example,but they have Rosewood boards,and I will be using round wound strings,so I need either Ebony or composite board as in Modulus.Thanks.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I was with Modulus for a couple of years- still in the website- look under Players
    the reason i am no longer with them is that i missed the tone of wood, especially when i slapped- but the fingerpicked sound was to die for- ever so punchy and studio ready- always have been a bartolini guy- but for some odd reason, on the Modulus, i preferred EMG's-
    since im assuming you wont be slapping on a fretless much- i say go for it- they are solid as rocks- the Modulus people are great- ( Hi, Jane!) and i think youd be a happy camper :)- peace, Adrian

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Modulus is great, especially in the fretless market.

The bass lists at about $1500 in a blue book, but I have never paid more than $1000 for one. Depending on how hot you are for a fretless, $1350 is still reasonable. Modulus basses are some of the best worldwide.

Comparable, fretless tone w/ rounds: Warwick, Pedulla (even though I don't like their fretted), Carvin (sorta), anything with an ebony board and a sturdy neck.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    rojo- which bass lists for $1500- a quantum? they list at $3000 - cost on that is more than $1500 - im curious as to which model - if i found a fretless Q5 or 6 for $1000- i think id buy it

5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    No, in a blue book of USED musical equipment, they have the approximate resale value set about $1500. That's for a base model, no options, in great condition.

6. I bought a Modulus Q5 fretless 8 months ago for around $1100 used. It is very different. I like it but it has heavy mid range which is great sometimes but not all the time. I love the bass but it is different, thats all. Does anyone have any opinion on EMG's vs. Bartolinis in The Modulus Q5?