Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q5 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Apr 21, 2002.

1. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have access to a used Modulus Q5 fretless with EMG's and 2 band EQ,gold hardware and hard case.The guy wants $1350.There aren't a whole lot of high end fretless 5's around here,so I was wondering if anyone would care to venture a comment who has had a chance to play both on a similar Modulus and some other brands in that strata of quality/price.I like Yamaha TRB's for example,but they have Rosewood boards,and I will be using round wound strings,so I need either Ebony or composite board as in Modulus.Thanks.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I was with Modulus for a couple of years- still in the website- look under Players
    the reason i am no longer with them is that i missed the tone of wood, especially when i slapped- but the fingerpicked sound was to die for- ever so punchy and studio ready- always have been a bartolini guy- but for some odd reason, on the Modulus, i preferred EMG's-
    since im assuming you wont be slapping on a fretless much- i say go for it- they are solid as rocks- the Modulus people are great- ( Hi, Jane!) and i think youd be a happy camper :)- peace, Adrian

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Modulus is great, especially in the fretless market.

The bass lists at about $1500 in a blue book, but I have never paid more than $1000 for one. Depending on how hot you are for a fretless, $1350 is still reasonable. Modulus basses are some of the best worldwide.

Comparable, fretless tone w/ rounds: Warwick, Pedulla (even though I don't like their fretted), Carvin (sorta), anything with an ebony board and a sturdy neck.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    rojo- which bass lists for $1500- a quantum? they list at $3000 - cost on that is more than $1500 - im curious as to which model - if i found a fretless Q5 or 6 for $1000- i think id buy it

5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    No, in a blue book of USED musical equipment, they have the approximate resale value set about $1500. That's for a base model, no options, in great condition.

6. I bought a Modulus Q5 fretless 8 months ago for around $1100 used. It is very different. I like it but it has heavy mid range which is great sometimes but not all the time. I love the bass but it is different, thats all. Does anyone have any opinion on EMG's vs. Bartolinis in The Modulus Q5?