1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus Q5 Question(s), and more...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by floridadave, Mar 30, 2006.

1. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a NEW Modulus Q5 from an internet company.

I have a few questions I hope some of you can shed some light on.

How difficult is it to get started on a 5 string? I've played 4's my whole life and I seem to want to use the Low B as an E string but I only have about 10 minutes of experience.:eek:

What color and top (grade also) would you say this bass was?

What do you think the electronics are? I know the pick-ups are Bartolinis.

Would this be a good bass for Classic and Modern Rock and to learn slapping on?

What would be a great price?

As you can see I really need help...Thanks in advance..:D

Florida Dave:cool:

P.S.-How smart/stupid is it to order a bass like this?

2. I found it harder to go from 4 to 5 rather than 4 to 6. I dont know why. Maybe it was the odd number of strings or something.

If Im reading the website correctly, looks like its called Sienna Quilt with a 5A top

More than likely a Bartolini preamp. My Q6 has a bart preamp and am looking at putting a Aguilar in it.. The bart is a little thin for my tastes.

Yes. Modulus basses are a great, solid bass. Don't let the graphite neck fool you. It can be a bit "Dry" at first but with the right preamp and EQing, you can get some great tones out of it.

Not really sure. Check on EBay and see if there are any other Q5s around and see what they are going for. I know the Q5 MSRP is at $3899 without options..

I wouldn't buy anything this expensive without trying one similar. Especially if you have never played an all graphite neck before. Its a bit of a different animal. I am sure you would like it but if you've always played wood necked basses, it definantly is a different feel.

3. Quilted maple tp with what appears to be the Seinna finish. Its more than likely the Bart preamp as well. I personally dig the Bart preamps (at least what I've heard of them), but if you don't it can eventually be replaced.

As far as the Q5 is a classic rock setting....
    Q5s are very versital instruments. And are particularly good for pick and slap playing. Not to say that is dosent sound good with your fingers, because it still sounds amazing, but those are just where it excels. If you think about it, alot of the biggest names in the rock world, particularly jam band rock, all play Modulus. Mike Gordon, Phil Lesh, Dave Schools, Flea, Steffan Lessard, Me'shell Ndegeocello (is that right??), Otiel Burbridge...

4. WovenGraphite

WovenGraphite Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Bay Area, California
    I took the radical approach, I never had enough time on the 5 vs 4.
    So I went on vacation and only took the 5 string. 2 weeks practicing everyday... it's not that hard to do, just need to get used to the extra string below the E.

About the slap thing. After slapping on 4 string for 10 years I was definitely looking at slapping on a 5 string. I needed to get the same space between the strings than on a 4. I know Modulus calls their models wide when they do have that string spacing.
    Some people don't mind, some others do, I definitely recommend to give a try to see if you are comfie with narrow space or not.

5. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Thanks guys....I tried a Q5 at Bass Central on Saturday and it had Bartolinis and an Aquilar Pre-Amp. It had a cool clean even growl to it. Every note was concise and clearly different from it's sharp or flat.

I liked Q5's with the Barts better than the ones with EMG's.

I'm still waiting to hear what electronics this Bass has. The guy in sales needs time to find the factory invoice to see what it has.

I'm still a little apprehensive about it being a 5 string in that I don't want it to slow me down or stress my left hand. I'm trying to run bass scales in my head to mentally see if it's worth it.

The thing is, I can get this NEW bass for $2,150.00...which I think is unbeatable. Bass Central wants like $3,000.00 for something similar. The trouble is, I can't touch this Bass first...it is in another state.

If it ends up having an Aguilar Pre-Amp I'll probably buy it. I've never heard the Bartolini internal electronics so I'm not sure.

Thanks, Florida Dave:cool:

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is a great price if the bass in new. That is what I paid for a new Q5 a few years ago, before the price increase. I would be willing to bet it has the Bart 3 band preamp in it, but you better check to make sure. I too prefer the Barts over the EMG's in Modulus basses, hands down.

I bought mine over the internet (my Q5 and my current Q6). I had played Modulus basses a few times at Mars Music, but didn't end up buying from them, as they didn't have the finish I wanted (my Q5 was 5A flame maple in Trans. Sienna finish), so I found one from a dealer on the net. I sold that about a year or two ago, and bought my Q6 from a TB member.

Great basses.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Excellent point. I played 4 for over 20 years. When I got my fiver, it was best for me to put the 4 aside and concentrate on 5. I also learned new songs on 5, rather than ones I've played for years on four.

The Modulus string spacing at the bridge is 17mm (string to string) on their standard (non-wide) fivers. Most fours are 19mm at the bridge. I prefer 19mm fivers, but many popular fivers (such as MusicMan and G&L) are approximately 17mm, so that goes to show that plenty of bassists are cool with narrower spacings.

8. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Ok, I just got the specs on the Bass.

Here it is:

Modulus Q5
    Phenolic Fretboard
    Transparent Sienna Finish
    5A Quilted Maple Front over Alder Body
    Bartolini Pick-Ups
    Aguilar OBP-3 Active Pre-Amp:)
    Black Hardware

I told them I'd take it...I'm kind of nevous but it seems like a great deal. They wanted to raise the price on me (I have a feeling that they bought it before a price increase and they probably found out that it would cost almost as much to replace it) but they said if I sent a check and that way they wouldn't lose money on credit card fees it would still be ok (after much negotiating...).

Phew, I need support guys...tell me I got a great deal on a great bass pleeease...;)

Thanks, Florida Dave:bassist: :cool:

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    $2150 seems like a nice deal. I had 2 of these and loved them. Only basses I regret selling.

10. I think 4 to 5 is easy.

you're going the same distance.

easy.

confused me at one point

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Great basses, and thats a stunning one with that quilt top! You made the right call! Q5 is one of the few basses I regret selling as well. Amazing tone. If it seems at all "sterile" sounding, just pick up an alembic F1-X or an Ampeg SVP-Pro and it'll fatten up right quick!!!

Was that a used price? That seems like a scraming deal for that bass.

12. You did get an amazing deal on a great bass. I am GASing for a Modulus more than ever....:crying:

Oh well, I'll be picking up my Cirrus from the store soon, so that will have to tide me over:D :bassist:

13. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    You won't regret that at all. In comparison, I bought a Q5 in 1993 or 4 for 2k even. I'd say you made out like a bandit. And remember- as the original owner you have a lifetime warranty on the neck should it warp (never seen one with an issue myself).
    I used to record direct with my Q5 all the time. Using only the onboard Bart pre, I never got a "sterile" tone. That whole knock on Quantums is a load of caca. :mad:

14. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Thanks for all of the support guys...I really do appreciate it.:)

Yes that is the price for a NEW Q5. That is why I feel like I can't turn it down. I just know I'll never get a second-chance as good as this one. I've passed up too many good deals in the course of my life that I regret.:crying:

You see, if I buy the USED one from Bass Central for $1,999.00 plus tax it would be the same as a NEW one from out-of-state. I choose new...

I'll be playing it through an Ampeg SVT-4PRO which I believe has a 3 tube pre-amp (gain). I hope that it is enough to fatten, round, warm-up the sound.:meh:

It has the Aguilar OBP-3 Active Pre-Amp which is the same as the used bass I tried out at Bass Central. I liked the sound...but I never was able to try a bass out with the Bartolini Pre-Amp so I don't actually know the difference.:help:

The used bass I tried had a very nice even growl to it. It had that "sternum-rubbing, gut-jiggling" growl. The growl was more heavy-duty an pronounced than that of the Warwick Thumb, or FNA I had.;) :bassist: :D

The bass I'm buying is still "Factory Set-Up". How does Modulus set-up their basses...light, medium, heavy action? This is why I am concerned about buying a bass over the phone.:eek:

Has anyone else here ever bought a Modulus over the phone?

I still haven't written the check yet....must be nerves...:confused:

Thanks Again, Florida Dave:cool: :bassist:

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

Perfect!

16. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Modulus sets up their basses with quite low, easy to play action. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Congrats!

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Modulus Quantums through Ampeg SVT 4 Pros are a great combination, IMHO. I have had great results with this combination.

18. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

I have, in '92 I bought mine sight unseen and never even played one before, I'm on Guam so there isn't much to choose from locally. I paid $1895 for my Q5 back then, I think it was Dixie Music (just an ad I saw in the back of Bass Player), so you're price is a good deal. Anyway, it was the best decision I could have made and I played it non-stop for over ten years. I had the barts w/bart pre and eventually changed the pre to a demeter then a sadowsky. Recently I had the bass overhauled by Michael Dolan and had it refinished like new again and also had sadowsky soaps installed, I'm really pleased with it. (the 'modulowsky' thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236576)
    [​IMG]

19. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    I'm glad about the SVT-4PRO being a good match and I'm also glad about Modulus being known for setting up their basses properly, a lot of companies nowadays are basically throwing their basses together and letting the customer be responsible for hopefully turning it into a good playable bass.

That being said, I did a bad thing today....I went to Guitar Center and played a bunch of cheap 5 stringers and was very dissapointed.:(

Of course they didn't have a Modulus. From what I remember of the Modulus that I liked at Bass Central was that the B string played like a good E string. That's what amazed me. Each note from B to E was clear and growled.:D I really hope I'm not remembering wrong because the cheapos I tried out today had B strings like limp spaghetti. And I hated them.:spit:

Thanks, Florida Dave:cool: :bassist:

P.S.: It looks like Mike Dolan knows his stuff...sweet looking bass.;)

20. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    To be blunt...

I can't help you at all:meh:

But!!! That is one of THE nicest Modulus basses i've ever seen. And i've seen a lot and love most of 'em.