Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q5 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris J, Apr 27, 2002.

1. I just tried a Q5 today and that is probably the best bass I've ever tried. I played a few Warwicks but due to bad setup I wasn't impressed at all. Sure nice to look at though. Anyway, I was wondering what kind of electronics the Q5 has. I know they're EMG but what model are the pups and the pre? Is it a regular EMG model or a model "custom built" for Modulus? Anyone?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You like them with EMGs? Too bad. :D

Make sure they were EMGs, though. They also come with Bartolinis (which I prefer), so make sure the pickups said EMG on them.

The EMG pickups available are the EMG DC soapbars and either the BTS (bass/treb) or BQC (bass/mid/treb) preamp.

The Bartolini's available are their regular soapbars (not sure of the name, they make too many) and either the NTBT (bass/treb) or NTMB (bass/mid/treb) preamp.

Hope it helps! Just make sure to try both the EMGs and Bartolinis on them, as they are completely different!

3. I'm sure it was EMG pups. Could it have been EMG pups with a Bart pre? Not sure which of the two preamps it is but that isn't a big deal. Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

4. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Highly unlikely. Keep in mind that the EMGs that Modulus uses are actually active pickups and are optimized for EMG's preamp. (Barts are passive pickups although they are usually coupled with a Bart preamp.)

The Q5 currently has 5 different available electronic configurations:
    EMG pups with 2/band preamp
    EMG pups with 3/band preamp
    Barts with 2/band preamp
    Barts with 3/band preamp
    Barts with Augilar 2/band preamp

Modulus will also configure the Q5 with Barts and passive electronics although they don't list this option in their catalogue.

cheers,
    darrelpr
    (Another victim of Modulust)

5. Thanks guys. Modulust. That's the best word to describe it.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I also prefer the Barts over the EMG's. If you haven't yet tried a Q5 with Barts, do yourself a favor and try and get ahold of one to try out. I own a Quantum 5 with Bart pups and BTMB (18v 3 band) preamp.

Modulust.:D Yep, that pretty much sums it up. I am currently seriously considering selling my Cirrus 5 and putting that money towards either a Flea 4 or a Quantum 4. And this is coming from a guy who used to spout off here that he would never ever sell his Cirrus.:rolleyes: Guess I am gonna eat those words.;)

7. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    FWIW, the Bart pups that Modulus offers are custom designed for Modulus and are not listed on the Bartolini website. (But I can't imagine they would be significantly different from any of the other "stock" Bart soapbars.)

darrelpr
    Another victim of Modulust

8. The Barts used on the Quantum series are Bartolini M series soapbars (same size housing as the EMG soaps). I'd bet that the Bart-equipped Quantum 5 uses something very close to the M45C, which is the "deeper" winding.