Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q5 string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seansbrew, May 29, 2003.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I am having a hard time adjusting to the tight string spacing on my new Modulus Q5(as far as slapping goes). It has been a month or so and I just cant seem to get the feel for slapping this bass. Are theese basses not made for slapping? Or does my technique suck. I have no trouble with my Musicman bass and I am stuck with the Q5. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The spacing could be considered by many to have tight spacing for slapping, althought it's curious that you don't have trouble with the Stingray, yet the Q5 poses an issue.

IMO/IME, the Stingray has tighter spacing than the Q5. I would suggest just giving it some time and see if you adjust to the neck.

I don't have trouble with the spacing, but it's definitely snug. There is a reason that Modulus makes a Q5-Wide, and you might be it.

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Sure. My Q5 string spacing was too tight. 17mm at the bridge. I sold them.

Time to work or your technique.:bassist:

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I don't like narrow string spacing either - its why I got rid of my Smiths. But you should be able to adjust, just practice more. It'll just take some time for your hands to get used to it...

5. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    thanks guys I think i will give it more time (after all its only been a month

6. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    and to clarify, I'm assuming you meant Stingray 5 -- the Stingray 4 has a lot more slapp'n space.

7. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I did forget to mention that it was a 4 string

8. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    yeah, you're making a big change between the Ray'4 and the Q5 in spacing.

again, i would at least give it another month or two and really focus on the new spacing. you might try putting away the ray 4 for a few weeks to see if that helps you adjust faster.

if you just can't adjust, i'm sure you can find a buyer for that popular bass and perhaps try a Q5 wide or a Modulus Genesis, both of which would probably work.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I went from a Lakland 55-94 to the Mod Q5. Major difference in spacing. I am glad I don't slap. Just my own version of popping and snapping was crowded. But I have found the Mod's sound to be worth putting up with the tighter spacing.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I was fairly new to five-string when I investigated the Q5. I just paid attention to nut width: the Q5 has 1-7/8", which is what I prefer. When I got it I learned that a wide nut isn't necessarily accompanied by Fender-standard 3/4" (19mm) bridge spacing. There's a lot to like about the Q5 (e.g. tone, fit and finish, neck profile, B-string), and I still gig with it, but I can't get completely comfortable on the narrow bridge spacing.

The Q5 is not as cramped as the Stingray 5, however: those are narrow at nut and at bridge.

11. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Is it your first 5? Then you're adjusting to more strings too, more room to make noise. Give it some time. . . you might find that you like tight spacing.

12. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    ask mike gordon...or just listen to him

13. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    My thoughts exactly. He has some beefy fingers too. Not HUGE, but definitely not skinny.

14. The Q5 had narrower spacing than I prefer, too, but there are lots of folks who slap just fine on them, including Otiel Burbridge. The Warwick Streamer II 5 and the Thumb are even narrower, and there are tons of folks who slap the @%^$ out of them, too.

So, just practice, practice practice!

Mike

15. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    no offense guys, but oteil and mike gordan could tie dental floss to a frog and make it sound like bass from the gods as far as I'm concerned.

neophytes like me try to find the absolute best fitting instrument we can find so that we can at least sound our best.

polishing the .... well, you know.

16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Personally, string spacing was a big enough issue to me to ditch many basses.

My reasoning was slapping on a standard 4 was all fine and easy, but the difference on a 5 was the spacing. So, why would I think it was my technique that needed to be adjusted?

MTD, Lakland, and a slew of others got it right, so ditching my axes seemed like the thing to do. Painful as it was, cause a Peavey Cirrus was almost everything I wanted, except for that. Roscoes as well. Great ax, but if it limits the way my technique exists, what's the point? If I am going to pay that kind of dough for an ax, I at least wanted it to have the feature I needed. And if I was gonna slap, then spacing was a necessary feature I had to pay attention to

One thing I found with tighter spacing, if you put your knuckle between two strings, a bass with standard spacing will not try to hold your knuckles in when pulling them out. The quantums, lg3005s and whatever will. So if you slap, then physically that seems like something to consider.

17. I had a couple 5 strings with the narrower spacing and could never make that 'love connection.' Got a couple Laklands and my problems were solved.:)

18. Well, after years of looking for the perfect bass, I finally did settle on tying dental floss to a frog...the thing is, you should always anchor the frog to something, otherwise it just jumps all over the place, and you don't get a good "witness point" for the string to vibrate. So i nailed it to a tree stump, and it sounds fine....I'm on my third frog right now, due to some intonation trouble I was having (the frog kept splitting).

19. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    The Standard string spacing for all five strings are 17MM. A few companies actually have 19MM (which is the spacing for a 4 string).
    However if you went to a "Wide" 5 string Modulus it is 21.5MM. This is the same neck that they use for their 6 string the nut is just cut wider.

Give it some time you should adjust!

20. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

WHAT??????????:confused: