1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus Q5 vs Lakland 5s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Apr 24, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    How would sound compare a b string sound on a Modulus vs a Lakland 5, either the usa or 55-02 skyline model?
    Is it as tight and clear as a modulus?

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think the Modulus beats the Laklands hands down. The Modulus B's are tight, booty quaking machines. Laklands are just sorta average in the B department.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Modulus Q5's have the best low B string I have ever played. I am sure there might be better ones, but I haven't found them yet.

Played a Lakland 5er once, a 55-94 Deluxe, and it also had a good B string, very tight, sounded great. But still not as good as a Modulus, IMHO.

I am sure others might disagree.;)

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've had several Modulus 5's and several Lakland 5's. I wouldn't necessarily say that the tone of the B-string on either is "better"....it's a different tone. Both are good and tight, but the Lakland gets a slightly woodier tone with more fundemental and less harmonic overtone structure than the Modulus.

One difference is that the body shape on the Lakland makes the 35" scale a bit more manageable than the Modulus. I was never fully able to get used to the ergonomics of my Q-5s.

Both are great basses, though.